This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5425 / 52°32'33"N
Longitude: -3.2466 / 3°14'47"W
OS Eastings: 315556
OS Northings: 294583
OS Grid: SO155945
Mapcode National: GBR 9W.DTLV
Mapcode Global: VH684.PC07
Entry Name: Bridge 148 and Byles Lock
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18534
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located off a narrow lane which runs to the W of the A 483 and the River Severn. The lock keeper's cottage lies to the W.
Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
This stretch of the Montgomeryshire Canal (the Western Branch) was constructed between 1815 and 1821 under the direction of the engineer, Josias Jessop. The bridge and lock date from this phase of construction. The blue brick repairs are probably of the late C19. Restored in 1979.
Bridge, with lock chamber extending to the S from the abutments. Single span brick arched bridge with keystones. Chamfered blue brick string course and concrete copings. The deck slopes down to the E where the ground level is lower. The parapets have splayed ends terminating in piers with pyramidal copings. Steps lead down to the towpath on the E side immediately N of the bridge. The lock chamber is of brick with sandstone copings and has restored timber lock gates at each end. The N swing gates are attached to original cast-iron lined rebates by iron straps and display a cast iron plaque reading 1979. The S gate is attached by a bracket to the E side and there is a cast-iron lined rebate in the W side. In front is a cast-iron trough with wooden stop planks set in cast-iron rebates in front of that. The remains of a cast iron rack and pinion-operated gearing mechanism can be seen at the S end beyond the S gate. The brick-lined overflow culvert is on the W side of the lock. A simple timber access way has been constructed over the lock to the S of the S parapet.
Listed as significant features of the engineering works associated with the western branch of the Montgomeryshire Canal.
Other nearby listed buildings