History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sunday School

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandre, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4629 / 52°27'46"N

Longitude: -4.0228 / 4°1'22"W

OS Eastings: 262668

OS Northings: 286918

OS Grid: SN626869

Mapcode National: GBR 8V.KVJF

Mapcode Global: VH4F6.7C49

Entry Name: Sunday School

Listing Date: 28 July 1997

Last Amended: 28 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18597

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated to E of B4353 on hillside, approached by steep short lane from centre of Llandre.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Bow Street

Community: Geneu'r Glyn (Genau'r-glyn)

Community: Geneu'r Glyn

Locality: Llandre

Built-Up Area: Llandre

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Borth

History

Church school, c1830, possibly on site of, or including part of a school founded about 1740. Extended by one bay to S in later C19. Marked on the Tithe Map of 1847.

Exterior

Coursed rubble stone with slate roof, S end rendered stack and N end bellcote. Single storey, 4 window range, originally 3 but extended by one bay to S in C19. Four Gothic pointed windows with stone voussoirs and slate sills. Later C19 simple Y tracery, presumably replacing small-paned glazing. W bellcote has two stone piers with projecting water-tabling, cambered head and flat coping. Windowless N end wall with rubble stone buttress to NW corner. One door on rear E wall with filled-in pointed window above, wall-face chimney and smaller Gothic pointed window . S end wall is rendered with brick lean-to. Lean-to has similar pointed W window.

Interior

Plain plastered interior.

Reasons for Listing

One of the few surviving examples in the region of the simple schoolrooms built by the Anglican church in the early C19.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lychgate at Church of Saint Michael
    Situated to the S of the Church of Saint Michael in the village of Llandre.
  • II Pont Felin-newydd
    Situated in Dol-y-bont, on minor road running NE from B 4353, from junction some 1.5 km SE of Borth.
  • II Capel y Garn
    Situated, at the N end of the linear village of Bow Street, on the W side of the A 487, in iron-railed forecourt.
  • II Ty'n Rhos
    Situated some 800m SE of Rhydypennau on N side of lane.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.