This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1214 / 53°7'17"N
Longitude: -4.29 / 4°17'23"W
OS Eastings: 246855
OS Northings: 360701
OS Grid: SH468607
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.78CY
Mapcode Global: WH43F.2SFX
Entry Name: Cefn-y-coed
Listing Date: 29 July 1997
Last Amended: 29 July 1997
Source ID: 18621
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to the N of Llanfaglan, some 450m from the minor road running NE from Llanfaglan to Caernarfon.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Earlier C19 country house built for Colonel Richard Jones, son of David Jones of Bodfan. Colonel Jones died in Dublin in 1837, when the house was incomplete. The Llanfaglan Tithe Map of 1843 records his widow Susannah Jones as the owner/occupier of a holding of some 26 acres (10.5ha). She also owned six other properties in the parish at this time comprising some 34 acres (13.8ha). There was an older rear range, demolished in later C20. The property was sold by the family in 1930.
Colourwashed stucco villa with slate hipped low-pitched roof, flat boarded eaves and four rendered stacks, two on ridge, one each end. Red later C19 or early C20 ridge tiles. Two-storey, three-window formal front with centre full height curved bay, 16-pane first floor sashes, French windows to ground floor sides and original large tripartite sash to centre of 6-18-6 panes. Both this and sash above are curved. Right end wall has enclosed porch, stuccoed, square with moulded entablature and frieze under hipped roof. Half-glazed double door and 4-pane end-wall sash. Left end has 15-pane sash to ground floor left and 12-pane sash above. Rear has 12-pane sash first floor left, the rest of rear wall projected with big centre 21-pane stair light.
Six-panel doors, panelled shutters, moulded cornices and fine cantilevered open-well spiral stair to rear, open string with stick balusters and moulded rail. Curved stair wall. Acanthus rose over stair well. Later C19 tiled floors in porch and spine hall. Two rooms at W end joined, both have painted floral frieze under cornice.
A distinctive Regency-style country house retaining good interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings