This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.284 / 53°17'2"N
Longitude: -3.58 / 3°34'48"W
OS Eastings: 294757
OS Northings: 377499
OS Grid: SH947774
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZFG.QH
Mapcode Global: WH657.ZQD9
Entry Name: St Paul Addoldy yr Eglwys Fethodistiadd
Listing Date: 5 August 1997
Last Amended: 5 August 1997
Source ID: 18683
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located E of the centre of the town, immediately beyond the river and on the corner of the road to St George
Built-Up Area: Abergele
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built 1879-80 by Richard Davies, architect of Bangor, and opened on 26.9.1880. The contractor was James Copping. The chapel now has two congregations, the original Welsh language community and the English Chapel.
Built of limestone with a slate roof. Tall building in a Classical style, with a wider rear block set transversely containing the vestry rooms linked by a corridor to doors in the projecting wings. The main front is articulated with giant pilasters rising to an open entablature, returning as a pediment. The dual entrances are set in a porch with entablature and blind balustrade over. Above, large tripartite segmental pedimented window with side lights. The outer bays have 2 levels of stone architraved timber windows. The side elevations, of 6 bays, have 2 levels of similar architraved lights with original timber windows
The entrance lobby has a blank internal wall to the chapel and side doors, and stairs each side to the gallery. The walls of the main body of the chapel are plastered. Coved ceiling with rope moulded ribs descending to corbels on all four sides. Painted central ventilator surrounded by moulded and painted flowers in a square. Gallery at the entrance (N) end, supported on simple cast iron columns, and extending around three sides of the building, the panelled front with a painted frieze. The part-octagonal panelled pulpit is set against a classical aedicule with Corinthian pilasters and segmental pediment on the S wall, and is approached by steps each side. The set fawr is contained within a substantial pine rail on wide spaced turned balusters. The central bank of 9 rows of pews stands on a slightly raked floor. Six rows of pews in the back of the gallery, returning as 3 at the sides.
Included as a prominent C19 chapel in Abergele, designed in a classical style.
Other nearby listed buildings