History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument to the great rail disaster of 1868 in the Churchyard of Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Abergele, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2855 / 53°17'7"N

Longitude: -3.5832 / 3°34'59"W

OS Eastings: 294553

OS Northings: 377675

OS Grid: SH945776

Mapcode National: GBR 3ZFF.1Y

Mapcode Global: WH657.XPX3

Entry Name: Monument to the great rail disaster of 1868 in the Churchyard of Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 5 August 1997

Last Amended: 5 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18697

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: The monument is set against the eastern churchyard wall, on the N side of the Church of St Michael.

County: Conwy

Town: Abergele

Community: Abergele

Community: Abergele

Built-Up Area: Abergele

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Abergele

History

The monument is to commemorate the loss of 33 victims of the rail accident near Abergele which happened on 20th August 1868, amongst whom were Lord Farnham, Rev Sir Nicholas Chinnery, Judge Berwick and others. The Irish mail train collided with three runaway goods trucks loaded with barrels of parrafin. The monument was erected probably at the expence of John Roberts, local benefactor, as the materials used are very similar to his father's monument at Mynydd Seion and his house at Bryngwenallt.

Exterior

A granite tablet inscribed with cut and gilded lettering, set between pink granite columns supporting a gabled head, the soffit trefoil shaped over the tablet itself, and bearing gilded lettering and IHS monogram. The monument is set on a twice chamfered stone plinth and is enclosed by an elongated burial ground, approximately 19m x 3m, defined by limestone posts and iron chains.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a monument of significance in the history of Abergele, and for group value with the Church of St Michael.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Michael
    Located in a rectangular churchyard in the angle between Water Street and Market Street, at the centre of the town, and accessed by the short Church Street off Market Street
  • II Ty-mawr Terrace
    Small N facing terrace leading W off the junction with Market Place, close to the Parish Church.
  • II Ty-mawr Terrace
    Small N facing terrace leading W off the junction with Market Place, close to the Parish Church.
  • II Lych Gate to Church of St Michael
    Church Street leads off Market Street at the centre of the town. The lychgate is at the entrance to the churchyard at the end of the road.
  • II National Westminster Bank
    The building stands on the W corner of Church Street, in the centre of the town.
  • II Telephone Call-box outside the Harp Inn
    Set into angle of buildings on wide pavement outside the Harp Inn; D L Morgan's Medical Hall stands forward on the right.
  • II Former Medical Hall
    Located to the W of the centre of the town, almost opposite Church Street, stepping forward from the Harp PH immediately E.
  • II Shop adjoining former Medical Hall
    Located to the W of the centre of the town, almost opposite Church Street, stepping forward from the Harp PH immediately E.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.