This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5857 / 51°35'8"N
Longitude: -2.9977 / 2°59'51"W
OS Eastings: 330972
OS Northings: 187896
OS Grid: ST309878
Mapcode National: GBR J5.CBPK
Mapcode Global: VH7BD.0D3R
Entry Name: Havelock Street Chapel and attached Hall
Listing Date: 14 August 1997
Last Amended: 31 March 2000
Source ID: 18804
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On corner of Havelock Street and North Street.
Community: Stow Hill
Community: Stow Hill
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Presbyterian chapel 1878, by Habershon, Pite, and Fawckner. Adjacent hall circa 1888.
Chapel in Medieval style derived from North Italian examples. Brown, buff, and white stone, red and yellow brick dressings, slate roof. Round-headed openings have polychrome voussoirs forming pointed arch. Chapel is on basement as ground slopes away to rear of building. Gable and side elevations have row of arcading at eaves level. Gable entrance has projecting gabled porch with side windows, steps up to entrance doorway. Porch flanked by tall windows with slender shafts with floral capitals. Bathstone wheel window with inscription, "Presbyterian Church", and polychrome voussoirs. Polgonal corner turrets, that to L on floral corbel (pinnacles lost). Side elevation to North Street has 4 bays, tall 2-light windows with polychrome voussoirs. Basement windows with shouldered heads, doorway to N.
To R, lower attached hall in similar style and materials, but some dressings in brick rather than stone. Single storey. Palmette finial to gable. Central doorway flanked by tall windows, central wheel window above doorway.
Entrance opens onto lobby with Art-Nouveau style glass and timber-screen; stairs to gallery within body of chapel. U-plan gallery on spiral cast-iron columns with floral capitals; wooden gallery frontal. Panelled ceiling with cornice. Deep arch encloses organ with exposed pipes; pulpit and set fawr enclosure with wrought-iron work. Three banks of pews, those to sides canted.
Listed as good mid C19 chapel in permanent polychromatic Italianate style.
Other nearby listed buildings