This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8615 / 51°51'41"N
Longitude: -4.1889 / 4°11'19"W
OS Eastings: 249370
OS Northings: 220365
OS Grid: SN493203
Mapcode National: GBR DM.STWV
Mapcode Global: VH3LK.BGWV
Entry Name: Llandeilo-yr-Ynys Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 November 1992
Last Amended: 1 April 2003
Source ID: 18865
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on an historic site on the N bank of the Afon Tywi, approximately 1.4km S of Nantgaredig, in its own grounds on the NE side of Pont Llandeilo-yr-Ynys.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Historically, St Teilo in the C6 is said to have had a chapel here, at which time it was an island site - hence the name of the farm. The house is of C18 origin, was enlarged in the late C18 and is shown on the 1839 Tithe map. The windows in the main range are late C19 replacements. The rear wing was rebuilt following the flood of the Afon Tywi in 1931.
A 3-storey 3-window house of rubble stone front, pebble-dashed side and rear walls, slate roof and brick stacks. Openings are offset to the L side. A central panel door, incorporating glazed panels, is below a canopy on moulded brackets. Windows have cambered stone heads and are shorter in the upper storey. All have late C19 2-pane sashes with wide margin lights. In the asymmetrical L gable end is a small-pane 2-light casement lower L under a wooden lintel. In the R gable end is an attic casement on the L side, and an added conservatory. Further R is a 2-storey 3-window rear wing, probably the earliest part of the house but rebuilt after 1931. It has a central half-glazed porch, inside which is a boarded door and overlight. Windows are small-pane casements with top-hung casements above transoms. In the lower storey are 3-light windows flanking the porch, and in the upper storey is a 3-light window to the L, and 2-light windows to the centre and R. The gable end of the wing has a projecting C18 stack, rebuilt in brick above the roof line. The rear of the wing has a lean-to with half-lit boarded door and flanking small-pane windows. The rear of the main range is 2-storey, has 2 2-light small-pane casements in the lower storey under segmental heads. In the upper storey it has corresponding square-headed windows with small-pane glazing and top-hung casements, and a narrower window to the L.
The interior has mainly details of the late C19. The room on the R, now combined into a single room with the original entrance hall, has a large fireplace with timber lintel and bread oven. A single cross beam has a plain stopped chamfer. The parlour on the L has a C19 panelled door.
Listed as a well-preserved farmhouse retaining C19 character, with historic associations.
Other nearby listed buildings