This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0017 / 52°0'6"N
Longitude: -4.2662 / 4°15'58"W
OS Eastings: 244532
OS Northings: 236125
OS Grid: SN445361
Mapcode National: GBR DJ.J0FG
Mapcode Global: VH3KR.0YHB
Entry Name: Yr Hen Gapel, including vestry and forecourt walls
Listing Date: 18 September 1997
Last Amended: 13 March 2003
Source ID: 18871
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: To the W of the village centre, on the N side of a minor road to the parish church.
Community: Llanfihangel-ar-Arth (Llanfihangel-ar-arth)
Built-Up Area: Pencader
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The first chapel was founded in 1650 but the present chapel was built in 1827, replacing an earlier building of 1780 (dates on building). It was superseded in 1910 when nearby Capel Tabernacl was built, and has subsequently been used as a village hall and occasional place of worship. The early non-conformist Stephen Hughes (1622-88) preached here.
A chapel in simple early C19 style with long-wall façade, of rubble stone and half-hipped slate roof on bracketed eaves. Round-headed openings have stone voussoirs. Doorways at the ends have boarded doors with radial-glazed overlights. The 2 large central windows are small-pane hornless sashes with intersecting glazing bars. Smaller gallery windows L and R above the doorways have similar detail. In the centre is a slate tablet framed by re-used stone dressings. In the R (N) end wall are 2 replaced round-headed gallery windows with keyed yellow-brick heads and blank tympana. Set back on the L (S) side is a lower gabled former stable with vestry above. The vestry has, on the R side next to the chapel, stone steps to a boarded door under a stone lintel, to the L of which is a 12-pane sash window. Below, the former stable has a boarded door flanked by 4-pane windows. The 2-window L gable end has inserted windows. Replaced windows are at the rear.
In front of the chapel is a stone wall enclosing the graveyard, and an iron gate at the foot of the vestry stairs.
The interior is subdivided horizontally: the upper (gallery) level is used as a chapel with workshops below. The gallery is supported on turned wooden columns, retains panelled frontal and old wooden benches.
Listed as an early C19 chapel retaining much of its early character.
Other nearby listed buildings