This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0023 / 52°0'8"N
Longitude: -4.2509 / 4°15'3"W
OS Eastings: 245582
OS Northings: 236150
OS Grid: SN455361
Mapcode National: GBR DJ.J46P
Mapcode Global: VH3KR.8XKY
Entry Name: Avondale
Listing Date: 13 March 2003
Last Amended: 13 March 2003
Source ID: 80996
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Approximately 1km ENE of Pencader, reached by private road on the N side of a minor road between Pencader and Gwyddgrug.
Community: Llanfihangel-ar-Arth (Llanfihangel-ar-arth)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built in 1870 as the Sunnyhill Woollen Factory. It originally comprised the mill with 2 dwellings built in line, but a wing was added to the mill soon after and is shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. In the C20 it was owned by John Jones & Sons and declined slowly. By 1947 it employed 3 people producing knitting yarn. It closed in 1950.
A 3-storey woollen mill, with a house adjoining to the R (formerly a pair of houses) and a later lower cross wing at right angles to the L. The main mill is rubble stone with yellow-brick dressings, and camber-headed windows and slate roof. In the front elevation facing the yard are 4 windows not equally placed, with small-pane glazing and incorporating pivoting lights (in poor condition), and lower R is a lintelled doorway with split boarded door and strap hinges. An additional window is inserted in the lower storey to the L side. The upper-storey windows are beneath the eaves.
The lower 2-storey 3-window cross wing to the L has camber-headed replaced windows and red-brick dressings and renewed slate roof with skylights. It has boarded doors to the R in both storeys, wider in the lower storey. The 2-window gable end and 4-window rear, have similar details, but the glazing is mostly missing from the rear, where there is also a boarded door to the L. The cross wing projects beyond the gable end of the main range, and beneath it runs the tail race in a segmental-arched culvert. The rubble-stone wheelpit is against the L gable end of the main range. Part of the head race survives at the upper level. In the gable end of the main range are replaced small-pane windows and a boarded loft doors. The rear has windows similar to the front.
The 2-storey house is lower than the mill, has rubble-stone walls, red-brick camber-headed openings, slate roof with projecting eaves, and brick stacks. The L-hand was originally a 3-window house and has margin-lit 2-pane sash windows and a central boarded door. The R-hand, formerly separate 2-window house, has renewed small-pane sashes and replaced glazed door to the L side. The R gable end is roughcast.
The mill retains its original simple stairs without risers. In the added wing, probably a dye house, a cast iron boiler is retained.
Listed as a well-preserved small woollen mill of the type constructed in the district after the arrival of the railway in the C19, of which few have survived and retained original integrity.
Other nearby listed buildings