This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7777 / 51°46'39"N
Longitude: -4.7599 / 4°45'35"W
OS Eastings: 209702
OS Northings: 212387
OS Grid: SN097123
Mapcode National: GBR CV.ZB00
Mapcode Global: VH2P5.FLZ1
Entry Name: Great Molleston Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 June 1971
Last Amended: 15 October 1997
Source ID: 18977
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the N side of West Lane between Molleston Cross and Templeton, with garden at front and farmyard at rear.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Great Molleston is a farm now included in the Henllan estate. It is named Great Molleston to distinguish it from the nearby C19 farm of Little Molleston.
The farmhouse probably dates from the Narberth enclosure period. Molleston had been included in the manor and estate of Slebech before the enclosure, as a farm of 223 acres ( 90ha ). The Slebech estate was purchased in 1778 by John Knox who proceded to obtain an Act to enclose the manorial wastes. 500 acres ( 203ha ) of the waste named Molleston Mountain were included in the enclosure award, dated 1786. Molleston farm was probably rationalised in the process, and the farmhouse rebuilt then or soon afterwards. Knox disposed of his agricultural estates in 1792.
At a very early date the farmhouse was considerably enlarged by the addition of an extra bay at the left and a rear range to deepen it to double-pile. The house was then re-roofed overall.
Two storey front elevation consisting of a symmetrical range of three windows plus an additonal bay of one window at the left. The front is rendered and there are prominent rusticated quoins to the original three-window block. Hipped slate roof with metal ridges and hip rolls. Rebuilt chimney stacks. The window head arches are of brick, concealed beneath the render without decoration. Twelve-pane horned sash windows, with exposed frames. At the centre of the original block is the entrance with its timber porch: the porch projects boldly, with two simplified Tuscan columns of wood and stucco at the front and two similar half-columns at the rear. Front door of five panels.
The rear elevation is a range of four windows, three of which are 12-pane hornless sashes and a small-paned round-headed window to a staircase landing centrally in the original block. Large later rear porch of single storey with hipped roof.
Symmetrically planned with good central staircase with hardwood handrail, swept at landings, coiled at foot over a curtail step. Square balusters, open string with brackets.
A large gentry farmhouse of the enclosure period, of some architectural refinement.
Other nearby listed buildings