History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nant-y-Bella Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Abergele, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2807 / 53°16'50"N

Longitude: -3.6007 / 3°36'2"W

OS Eastings: 293375

OS Northings: 377167

OS Grid: SH933771

Mapcode National: GBR 3Z9H.8N

Mapcode Global: WH657.NSLS

Entry Name: Nant-y-Bella Lodge

Listing Date: 12 November 1997

Last Amended: 12 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19037

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on the roadside approximately 1km from the Abergele Lodge, on a sloping, partly-wooded site.

County: Conwy

Town: Abergele

Community: Llanddulas and Rhyd-y-Foel (Llanddulas a Rhyd-y-Foel)

Community: Llanddulas and Rhyd-y-Foel

Locality: Gwrych Castle

Built-Up Area: Abergele

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Abergele

History

Castellated gate lodge conceived as one of a series to serve Gwrych Castle. Begun for Lloyd Bamford Hesketh c1819, Gwrych Castle ranks as one of the most important castellated houses of the Picturesque in Britain. The castle and its associated lodges and park walls were designed collaboratively by the client and Thomas Rickman, the architect and architectural theorist. A castellated scheme was prepared by the architect C.A Busby as early as 1814, though this was abandoned by the owner in favour of his own designs. Rickman was consulted from 1816 onwards, producing a full scheme in 1817. The foundation stone was finally laid 1819. Cast iron Perpendicular-style windows from John Cragg's Mersey Iron Foundry (where Rickman had collaborated on his iron churches at Liverpool), were incorporated in the scheme. Hesketh was still producing designs as late as the 1850s, though the main work at the castle was complete by 1822; it is likely, therefore, that the main lodges also belong to this primary phase and were included in the original overall conception.

Exterior

The gate lodge is of local limestone rubble and consists of a main storeyed residential section and a squat cylindrical tower; these are located to the L and R respectively of the driveway. The main part is a square tower with crenellated battlements and a tall cylindrical watch-tower attached to the N at the front. The latter has a double-corbelled upper stage, in imitation of machicolations, and a shallow, conical slate roof; small, brown brick chimney to rear. Pointed-arched window to front with cusped, cast-iron frame (to Rickman's designs and, like other Gwrych detailing, cast at the Mersey Iron Foundry); similar window to inner return of main tower, with Tudor-arched entrance below. A later rubble park boundary wall adjoins the watch tower to the S; a modern storeyed extension adjoins the rear of the main block. The Cylindrical tower, to the N, has a corbelled upper section, though lacks battlements. Half-round stone gatepiers adjoin both this and the watch-tower; the gates are missing.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a C19 castellated gate lodge associated with the nationally important Picturesque work of Rickman and Hesketh at Gwrych Castle.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Estate Boundary Wall to Gwrych Castle Park (part in Abergele Community)
    Gwrych Castle lies in parkland immediately W of Abergele. The wall forms the park boundary, extending into Llanddulas and Rhyd-y-foel and Betws-yn-rhos communities.
  • I Gwrych Castle including attached walls and towers and Stable Block.
    About 2km W of centre of Abergele, set dramatically against a wooded hill slope; set back from and above B 4553.
  • II* King's Lodge, also known as Abergele Lodge
    Located at the W end of the town, at the junction of a lane to Tan-y-Gopa and Betws-yn-Rhos.
  • II Stables and Coach-house Range at Glan Aber
    Immediately to west of Glan Aber and at right angles. Glan Aber is set in extensive gardens on the western edge of Abergele, beside the main road.
  • II Glan Aber
    On the western edge of Abergele, immediately beyond the Police Station, and set back in its own large gardens, approached by a curving driveway
  • II Tyddyn-uchaf Old Farmhouse
    Located on high land, and reached by a farm road off the Tan-y-gopa to the Dulas Valley and Betws-yn-rhos. The old house is set at right angles to the present house.
  • II Tyddyn-Morgan
    Located on high ground, at the end of a farm track off Tan-y-gopa Road, which winds its way along the S side of Gopa Wood.
  • II Betws Lodge
    Gwrych Castle park boundary wall rises steeply to 138m along the road to Rhyd-y-foel. Betws Lodge lies outside the wall line, approximately 100m short of the junction of the road to Rhyd-y-foel centr

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.