This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5459 / 51°32'45"N
Longitude: -3.599 / 3°35'56"W
OS Eastings: 289213
OS Northings: 184212
OS Grid: SS892842
Mapcode National: GBR HC.FX0B
Mapcode Global: VH5HB.KDPR
Entry Name: Bridge over Incline Plane Tondu
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 19058
Building Class: Transport
Location: Just within the SW boundary of the community, W of Maesteg Road and the railway, just N of Tondu Methodist church.
Community: Newcastle Higher (Y Castellnewydd)
Community: Newcastle Higher
Built-Up Area: Sarn
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The northernmost of the 3 bridges over the Incline Plane which was built c.1854 originally to connect the proposed broad gauge Llynfi Valley railway to the earlier Dyffryn Llynfi and Porthcawl Railway, which ran to rear of the ironworking site, and to the coking area. After the Llynfi Valley railway opened in 1861 it provided principal access to coking ovens and the earlier line closed. The Incline Plane comprised a single track with no passing place and was powered by steam. The bridge carried a tramroad over the Incline Plane on its way to Bridgend, bringing limestone in and iron and coke out, and functioned from 1860-75. This was the successor to Sir Robert Price's private line, the tramroad which transported materials into and out of the ironworks during their first period of operation in 1840s and ran to N. The ironworks were taken over by the Brogden family in 1855 who themselves promoted the extension of the railway network through Acts of Parliament and were responsible for this era of transport in the Tondu Ironworks.
Bridge consists of two deep stone abutments of snecked rockfaced stone with mainly yellow brick dressings. There are two channels for the iron bridge, the main part of which is still in situ and comprises 6 plated panels resting on an ashlar padstone. The rear abutments are angled to the gradient on the uphill side; at the front they are some 45 courses high and appear to have had some stone coping now mainly disappeared; no extant parapet; angled approach wall right. Now neglected and ivy covered though bridge is still a pathway.
Listed as a mostly intact structure of a mid C19 industrial transport complex and representative of the second stage of development under John Brogden of the Tondu Ironworks founded in 1830s by Sir Robert Price.
Other nearby listed buildings