History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rhoscellan Fawr

A Grade II Listed Building in Tirymynach, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4496 / 52°26'58"N

Longitude: -4.0649 / 4°3'53"W

OS Eastings: 259771

OS Northings: 285523

OS Grid: SN597855

Mapcode National: GBR 8S.LXDX

Mapcode Global: VH4F5.HPFH

Entry Name: Rhoscellan Fawr

Listing Date: 12 November 1997

Last Amended: 12 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19074

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated down drive to W of B4572 some 1.6 km N of Clarach.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Aberystwyth

Community: Tirymynach

Community: Tirymynach

Locality: Wallog

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Bow Street

History

Early C19 farmhouse, once part of the Cwmcynfelin estate. Shown on the O.S. Map of 1823, and the Tithe Map of 1847. Owned by M.D. Williams of Cwmcynfelin in 1841, with 182 acres, farmed by Richard Edwards. Leased to G.G. Williams, son of M.D. Williams, for life, in 1860, for sum of £140 per annum.

Exterior

Farmhouse flanked roughly symmetrically. by service wing and lofted stable wing.Squared, local Wallog stone, brought to course, slate roofs of small slates, with raised stone gable parapets, distinctive of a group of local farmsteads in this exposed location. House has stone end-chimneys, with corniced caps and dripstones, larger stack to left. Two-storey, three-window range of late C19 4-pane sashes, with voussoired cambered-heads and slate sills. Central stone porch, with slate roof and stepped stonework to front gable. Open doorway with stone voussoirs to flat head. Within, a ledged door with 4-pane overlight. Gable-end loft lights, 12-pane square sash to W end, casement to E.
Service range to left has end stone chimney, two-storey front with ledged door to extreme right and a C20 2-pane sash to left, both with stone voussoirs. First floor left has original small square sash of 12-panes, 4 wide by 3 deep. Similar sash in W gable over small lean-to.

Lofted stable to right has central ledged double-doors, with exceptionally large stone lintel, and blocked opening over. Outside stone steps to left side, up to ledged loft door. Rear outshut with cold-room.

Reasons for Listing

An unusually well articulated farmhouse range, distinctive for the near-symmetry controlling the layout of the house with its flanking service accommodation and stabling. It also retains much of its original vernacular character, including the unusual stepped stone gables.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lime-kiln at Wallog
    Situated on sea shore some 100m SW of Wallog, approached by long drive running W off B4572 1.5 km N of Clarach.
  • II Church Hall
    Situated on the N side of the Llangorwen-Bow Street road, some 300m E of Clarach cross-roads.
  • II Crow's Nest, No 4 The Cross
    Third cottage W of crossroads in row of three on the NW side of the cross-roads at Clarach.
  • II No 2 The Cross
    Eastern house of a row of three cottages on NW side of crossroads in Clarach, on intersection.
  • II No 3 The Cross
    Second of a row of three one-and-a-half-storey cottages, with pavement frontage, on NW side of Clarach crossroads.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.