This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4372 / 52°26'13"N
Longitude: -4.0546 / 4°3'16"W
OS Eastings: 260429
OS Northings: 284120
OS Grid: SN604841
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.MDBW
Mapcode Global: VH4FC.N0VG
Entry Name: Church Hall
Listing Date: 12 November 1997
Last Amended: 12 November 1997
Source ID: 19066
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the N side of the Llangorwen-Bow Street road, some 300m E of Clarach cross-roads.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Former Clarach Church of England School of 1871 probably designed by George Jones of Aberystwyth, architect to the Gogerddan estate, who, according to the school log-book, paid an inspection visit in 1872 when the desks were installed. Replaced earlier `Free School' of 1795 built on land given by Mrs Margaret Pryse of Gogerddan.
Single-storey school in rock-faced squared rubble stone with yellow terracotta chevron-moulded cornice, and red and yellow brick dressings. Steep hipped slate roof with two bands of lozenge-cut slates, galvanized roof-vent to right, and missing left vent. Yellow-brick chimney central on rear wing ridge. T-plan. S front has centre gabled stone porch with yellow-brick chevron-moulded verge and moulded eaves cornice. Front pointed 4-pane sash with yellow-brick band. Slate plaque of 1795 in apex in brick frame with brick sill-band. Ledged door in E side wall, and another pointed sash in W wall, with brick band carried around. Slate tablet is inscribed: 'This Free School endowed by Morris Jones Esq. and another gentleman from London in the year of our lord 1795. The ground and timber were given by Mrs Margaret Pryse of Gogerddan'. Main schoolroom has paired pointed 4-pane sashes each side of porch, in red brick surrounds. E and W ends have similar paired pointed sashes. Rear N wing has a pointed sash window in E and W walls, similar but smaller, and with yellow brick dressings. Rear stone and slated toilet-block.
Single room plan. Plastered ceilings and walls, with boarded dado, and part-exposed arched roof-trusses on corbels. Later C19 fire-grate in centre. Window-heads are flat internally.
Listed as a good and unusual example of a small village school in a carefully detailed Gothic idiom.
Other nearby listed buildings