This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1424 / 53°8'32"N
Longitude: -3.008 / 3°0'28"W
OS Eastings: 332669
OS Northings: 361060
OS Grid: SJ326610
Mapcode National: GBR 75.61TG
Mapcode Global: WH88K.R8SS
Entry Name: Kinnerton Hall
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 19076
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Kinnerton Hall is approached by a private drive running west from Kinnerton Road. It is slightly elevated from the road and obscured from view by the houses on Kinnerton Road at Babylon.
Community: Higher Kinnerton (Kinnerton Uchaf)
Community: Higher Kinnerton
Built-Up Area: Higher Kinnerton
Traditional County: Flintshire
Completed in 1740 for the Paynter family, (when it was known as Paynter Hall). Acquired by the Topham family in the early C19 when it formed part of their Kinnerton Lodge estate together with Crompton Hall Farmhouse. Later in the C19 acquired by the Collinge family and farmed by the Cannon family as tenant farmers. Refurbished under James Collinge in 1887.
Three storey, brown brick, Georgian farmhouse of three bays with C19 remodelling including single storey extension to the right. Grey slate roof. Central bay to front elevation is slightly recessed between two projecting outer bays. Stone copings to gable ends with ball finials and kneelers. Separate storeys articulated by a projecting brick band of three courses between the ground and first floors, and the first and second floors. To the front elevation each bay has two metal, small-pane, casement windows to each of the ground and first floors, with one to the attic storey; all windows are of distinctive estate style with pointed "Gothick" heads and large projecting Ruabon cills and heads. Windows to either side of the front door are late Victorian leaded windows of two-lights. Together with the six-panel door they are brought together under a large Ruabon terracotta moulded lintel with a date inscription of 1887. To the gable of the central bay is a date-stone of 1740 together with the name Paynter. To the right is the single storey former dairy of late C19 with four segmental headed windows one of which has been enlarged to form a door. The remaining three windows retain their original diamond lattice paned casement windows. The rear elevation retains the symmetry of the front but with a narrower, and unlit, central section. The bays to the left and right have one multi-paned window to each storey, with Ruabon terracotta cills and heads and late C19 diamond lattice glazing bars.
The planform to the main body of the house remains substantially intact whilst the former dairy has been completely refurbished. From the entrance hall rises the original wooden staircase, the full height of the house. To the dining room is an encased bevelled and stopped floor joist whilst that to the hall is exposed. To the attic rooms are some heavy two panel doors and Victorian cast-iron fire-surrounds.
Listed as a substantially intact estate farmhouse with C18 origins and C19 remodelling, retaining distinctive fenestration and good staircase.
Other nearby listed buildings