This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4026 / 52°24'9"N
Longitude: -3.9768 / 3°58'36"W
OS Eastings: 265612
OS Northings: 280129
OS Grid: SN656801
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.PMJ9
Mapcode Global: VH4FF.0WZ0
Entry Name: Church of Saint David
Listing Date: 2 January 1998
Last Amended: 26 May 2004
Source ID: 19170
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated just S of A44 about 50m down road to Cwm Rheidol on W side of road.
Locality: Capel Bangor
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Anglican parish church of 1837-9 built as chapel of ease for Melindwr township in the large parish of Llanbadarn Fawr. Plans were made in 1833 probably by George Clinton of Aberystwyth, as this building is fairly similar to his church at Eglwys Fach. The builder was said to be Richard Jones, probably Richard James of Aberystwyth. Some later C19 fittings: font and pews, and then, c1909, the original small-paned, windows were replaced with ashlar tracery, probably by G.T. Bassett of Aberystwyth. In 1932-3 remodelled internally with addition of W porch to designs by W. D. Caroe, one of his best works in the region. The church was probably originally roughcast or rendered as the stone is poor, and was limewashed in 2003 for protection.
Church, whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs, shouldered coped gables and cross finials. Nave, short chancel and W bellcote. W porch added 1932. Classical style, three-window nave with bays divided by pilasters with plinths and simple moulded capitals under eaves. Three long narrow arched windows to each side, with stone voussoirs to arches. W end has two similar blank arched recesses with slate sills, centre 1932 porch and centre of W wall projects to carry bellcote. This has two string courses under bellcote which has arched bell-opening with impost band each side, between outer pilasters that carry frieze and pediment. Porch has shallow pitched roof with open pedimental front gable in moulded ashlar, the ashlar continued along side wall. Raised angle piers and raised stone voussoirs following sloping lines of pediment over flat-headed doorway with stone voussoirs and triple keystone. Recessed oak double plank doors with cover strips and iron nailheads. Side walls have sunk panel with stone voussoirs under eaves and small arched window with stone voussoirs, keystone and ashlar sill.
Side windows have early C20 ashlar 2-light windows inserted into original openings, arched heads to lights, rusticated jambs, no sills. Nave has 1932 oak door to vestry on E return of S wall, under concrete moulded hood on console brackets. Very short chancel has lower roof, similar angle pilasters and big arched E window with stone voussoirs and line of original sill visible from original window, replaced with early C20 ashlar 4-light with Y-tracery, paired arched lights and two roundels.
Plastered whitewashed walls, panelled 3-sided, 6-bay nave roof with plaster panels. W end has cambered headed doorway with double leather-covered doors. Porch has slate flagged floor. Original nave extends beyond present screen, and shallow chancel has round arch, hollow-moulded, flanked by pilasters with inner round arch. One step to chancel which has curved plastered panel ceiling of 2x8 panels, with moulded timbers. Parquet floors, slate flags under screen.
Fittings: later C19 Bath stone octagonal font on four column shafts with leaf-capitals and shields. Font cover of 1933. C19 pine pews with panelled backs.
Fine oak screen of nine bays, a wider one to left with pulpit, widest for centre opening. Screen is in a C16-17 classical style with square piers to openings over panelled base with moulded plinth. Flat entablature, with triglyphs over pilasters and centre of each wider bay and moulded cornice. The piers have scrolls each side of capitals under the entablature, and stand on raised pedestals, with arched panels. The pulpit front projecting in left bay is 3-sided and panelled. The last two bays on right have openings partially filled by panelled end of vestry, in SE corner of original nave. Vestry N front has five panelled bays and 2-panel door to left, and cornice with incised decoration to frieze. Stalls have scrolls to tops of bench ends, open panelled back with little panelled piers and scrolls. Frontal also with pilasteres and panels and scrolled ends. Reading desk attached, with front panel between half-fluted pilasters, and scrolled support. Behind N stalls is access to oak steps to pulpit. Kneelers in chancel arch with scrolls under top rail, ends splayed out and pilasters on inner ends. Panelled dado to chancel and curtained reredos with double-ogee moulding to piers with curved top to capital and centre top rail above curtain with deligate pierced cresting. Side curtains on wrought iron swing brackets. Two Gothic oak sanctuary chairs.
In vestry is earlier C19 seating plan painted on board. Oak N end exterior door.
Stained glass: E window of c. 1925 to Major J.J. Bonsall of Fronfraith, of Lamb of God, SS Mary & John, and Light of the World. One N 2-light to E. Williams, died 1958, by Powell of Whitefriars, The Lord is my Shepherd.
Memorial: Marble neo-Grec plaque with dove to George Bonsall of Glan Rheidol, died 1824.
Included as a rare example of a classical church design, the only one in the county, with exceptionally good interior refitted in 1932.
Other nearby listed buildings