This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4044 / 52°24'15"N
Longitude: -3.9814 / 3°58'53"W
OS Eastings: 265301
OS Northings: 280338
OS Grid: SN653803
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.PLC8
Mapcode Global: VH4FD.YT1M
Entry Name: Lewis Edwards Memorial outside Penllwyn Calvinistic Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 26 May 2004
Source ID: 24029
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the forecourt of the chapel on the N side of the A44 just E of the road junction in the centre of the village.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Commemorative bust to Dr Lewis Edwards 1809-87, by Sir William Goscombe John, unveiled 27 October 1911 on centenary of Methodist ordinations at Bala. Dr Lewis Edwards was leading Methodist, founder and first principal of Bala College, theologian, writer and minister. He was born at Pwllcenawen opposite the chapel. The bust is a casting of the head and shoulders of the statue at Bala, and cost £150. The bust was unveiled by his daughter, Mrs Dickens Lewis, another daughter Mrs W R Evans, and his son the Rev D Charles Edwards were present, and Principal John Rhys of Bala College presided.
Bronze bust on granite pedestal, the bust half-length, cloaked, holding book. Pedestal has square plinth and then shaft tapers on 3 sides, the back vertical. Sides are turned out under moulded capital with centre front moulding broken forward. Pedestal is inscribed: Cyfodwyd y cerflun hwn i anrhydeddu coffadwriaeth y Parch Lewis Edwards M.A. D.D. Sylfaenydd a llywydd cyntaf athrofa'r Bala 1837-1887 a dysgawdwr cenedl y cymry fel llenor duwinydd a gweinidog yr Efengyl canwyd yn Mhwllcenawon Penllwyn Hydref 27 1809 bu farw yn y Bala Gorff 19 1887'. Kerb around with 7 cast-iron standards carrying iron chains and horizontal bar.
Included as a sculpture by the leading Welsh sculptor of the early C20, and for group value with the chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings