This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2238 / 53°13'25"N
Longitude: -3.4233 / 3°25'23"W
OS Eastings: 305073
OS Northings: 370589
OS Grid: SJ050705
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.0WFM
Mapcode Global: WH76V.D73C
Entry Name: Trefnant School
Listing Date: 9 January 1998
Last Amended: 9 January 1998
Source ID: 19201
Building Class: Education
Location: Located at the South-western edge of the village, 60m NE of the church; set back from the road behind a metalled forecourt.
Built-Up Area: Trefnant
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Village school built in 1860 at a cost of some £700 and designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, architect of London; the land and a large proportion of the funding was given by Mr and Mrs Townsend Mainwaring of Galltfaenan Hall who had previously commissioned Scott to design the memmorial church in 1853; the neighbouring rectory completes the Scott parochial group. The school opened in February 1861.
L-shaped school range in restrained Tudor-Gothic style, with adjoining master's house to rear. Of uncoursed, roughly-dressed limestone blocks with tooled ashlar dressings; slate roofs with overlapping copings to gable parapets and 3 metal louvre bases to roof sections, the louvres lost. Tall chimney with splayed sides, chamfered top and cornice band. The entrance front is of 3 bays, that to the L advanced and gabled and with a catslide roof extension continuing R over a flush, central porch. The gable has a pair of tall lancets with an oculus above, the whole contained within a large, flush ashlar arch; the original iron intersecting lozenge glazing survives to the oculus, otherwise plain modern glazing. Pointed-arched entrance, stepped-up and with modern panelled door; plain triangular overlight. The right-hand bay has a large square window with tripartite modern glazing; blocked lancet group window to R gable, as before; modern extensions adjoin here (NE). Three further large square windows to long L side (SW).
Plain modernised interiors with modern partitioning and false ceilings obscuring primary open roofs to main and lesser class-room halls.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a village school, designed as part of a parochial group by Sir Gilbert Scott, the renowned Victorian ecclesiastical architect.
Group value with the church, rectory and the school master's house, to which it is attached.
Other nearby listed buildings