History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanley Embankment

A Grade II Listed Building in Valley, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.289 / 53°17'20"N

Longitude: -4.5793 / 4°34'45"W

OS Eastings: 228165

OS Northings: 379993

OS Grid: SH281799

Mapcode National: GBR HN20.740

Mapcode Global: WH42H.MLKG

Entry Name: Stanley Embankment

Listing Date: 19 January 1998

Last Amended: 19 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19231

Building Class: Transport

Location: Spanning the strait between the main island, N of Valley, and Holyhead Island.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Valley (Y Fali)

Community: Valley

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Valley

History

Following the Act of Union in 1801 a programme to improve the roads between the two capital cities of London and Dublin was initiated. In 1811 Thomas Telford was commissioned to undertake a survey of the roads between London and Holyhead and in 1817 began work on the northern stretch of the road at Shrewsbury. The Stanley Embankment, designed by Telford, was built to carry the new road across the strait to Holyhead Island. Built by Gill and Hodges, construction work began in 1815 and was completed in 1822. Further construction work took place in the late 1840's to allow the railway to be carried across the embankment, the first trains running between Llanfairpwllgwyngyll and Holyhead in the summer of 1849.

Exterior

A large embankment built on a natural terrace across the strait, faced with stone and with modern rubble walling either side to protect against storm damage. The embankment is 1189m (1,300 yds) in length, 4.87m (16ft) high, the base is 34.75m (114ft) wide tapering to a width of 10.36m (34ft) at the top. The embankment carries the A5(T) road carriage along its eastern side and the main Euston to Holyhead railway to the west, a tall rubble masonry wall dividing the two and a smaller rubble masonry wall along the east side of the A5(T).

Reasons for Listing

Listed as good example of Telford's structural design work for the A5. A road and rail embankment demonstrating considerable engineering expertise and of immense local importance for its connection with Telford's A5 and the railway providing the route between London and Dublin.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Stanley Embankment
    Spanning the strait between the main island, N of Valley, and Holyhead Island.
  • II Milestone
    Located at the NE side of the A5 directly over the N end of the Stanley Embankment.
  • II Stanley Tollhouse
    Set back from the N side of the A5(T), directly over the northern end of the Stanley Embankment and within Penrhos Coastal Park.
  • II Milestone
    On the NE side of the A5 through Valley, directly opposite the Stanley Hospital.
  • II The Betting Stand (aka Rotten Tower)
    Situated towards the southern end of the park at the edge of woodland and overlooking the broad expanse known as Penrhyn Quillet. Penrhos Coastal Park lies at the SE end of Holy Island.
  • II Valley Railway Station Main Building
    At the S end of Valley, on the 'up' platform immediately NW of the level crossing over the B4545.
  • II Valley Station Signal Box
    Located at the S end of Valley, directly NW of the level crossing on the B4545.
  • II Cleifiog Fawr
    Set back from the SE side of Gorad Road, c750m NE of Valley.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.