This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0236 / 53°1'25"N
Longitude: -3.5626 / 3°33'45"W
OS Eastings: 295286
OS Northings: 348513
OS Grid: SH952485
Mapcode National: GBR 6F.FK32
Mapcode Global: WH66M.78RC
Entry Name: Milestone
Listing Date: 17 February 1998
Last Amended: 17 February 1998
Source ID: 19340
Building Class: Transport
Location: Beside the Holyhead Road, immediately S of the village, opposite the Saracen's Head Hotel.
Built-Up Area: Cerrigydrudion
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The milestone was erected as part of the improvement of the London to Holyhead Road undertaken by Thomas Telford, engineer, from 1819 to improve communications between London and Dublin. The poor state of the road to Ireland exercised Parliament from before 1810, and a survey was carried out by Telford in 1811. Monies granted following the setting up of a commission in 1815, but work on this section could not take place until the amalgamation of the seven existing turnpike trusts, authorised in 1819. The road was not completed until the opening of the Menai Bridge, and the construction of the 20-mile Anglesey section in 1828. Telford designed the road formation, and details of ancillary structures including tollhouses and milestones, many of which still survive despite the loss of their information plates. This present milestone may have been re-located from a position in the village.
A tapered stone pillar with a gabled top, the front and sides point-dressed, and the front face recessed and set with a cast iron plate carrying relief lettering reading:
HOLY- / HEAD / 57 / CERNIOGE / 3M - 2F / CORWEN 9M - 6F.
Included as one of the important series of milestones erected under the direction of Thomas Telford as part of one of the first modern style major road improvement schemes of national importance.
Other nearby listed buildings