This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4886 / 51°29'19"N
Longitude: -3.5686 / 3°34'6"W
OS Eastings: 291188
OS Northings: 177796
OS Grid: SS911777
Mapcode National: GBR HD.KK2J
Mapcode Global: VH5HK.3V86
Entry Name: Stable Court W Range at Ewenny Priory (house)
Listing Date: 3 March 1998
Last Amended: 3 March 1998
Source ID: 19474
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Forming the W side of the Stable Court at the entrance to Ewenny Priory (house).
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Ewenny (Ewenni)
Locality: Ewenny Priory
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1871 for Thomas Picton Turbervill. Modelled on the earlier coach house opposite, this together with the already existing barn adjacent at right angles, the N stable range and coach house to E and the Entrance Gateway to Ewenny Priory house completed the Stable Court. Appears thus on first edition OS map 1875.
A symmetrical rectangular building. Of snecked rock faced stone with ashlar dressings and hipped Welsh slate roof with stone bracketed overhanging eaves. Single storey, 5 bays, the central bay with a tall elliptical arched carriage entrance with oculus above rising to form a short tower with pyramidal roof, eaves at ridge level of main range, with former louvred ventilator finial with pyramidal cap; inscription TPT 1871 over lintel. On each side two doorways with boarded doors flanked by two small windows with metal framed small pane windows, all with cambered heads; stable doors and ventilation grilles to the loose boxes. Rear has pediment incorporating a round arched pitching door. Attached to rear are lean-tos and a cross range comprising a two storeyed building with blue and red brick dressings formerly an apple store with a single storey wing containing a huge bellows, brick forge and chimney. Extending S is the wall completing the enclosure of the Stable Court.
Limeplastered and limewashed with stable tile floor. Comprised 2 loose boxes right, a paint shop and a feed store left, with carriage recess in centre.
Included as an integral part of the Stable Court; group value with other buildings of Ewenny Priory, especially with N and E ranges, Barn, Gateway and the house.
Other nearby listed buildings