This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6398 / 52°38'23"N
Longitude: -3.1264 / 3°7'34"W
OS Eastings: 323876
OS Northings: 305271
OS Grid: SJ238052
Mapcode National: GBR B1.6LZP
Mapcode Global: WH79P.YXF3
Entry Name: Tafalog
Listing Date: 20 March 1998
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 19504
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 0.8km S of Leighton church at the NE corner of a junction between the B4388 and a minor road to Leighton Farm.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Early 1850s, possibly designed by the Liverpool architect W.H. Gee for John Naylor. Naylor, a Liverpool banker, had acquired the Leighton Estate in 1846-47 and embarked on an ambitious programme of building, notably Leighton Hall, church and Leighton Farm, all designed by Gee and completed by the mid 1850s. Leighton Hall was constructed 1850-56. Naylor continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889, during which time a number of lodges were built, all of which use similar materials but have subtle differences in their design, and which contrast with the plainer brick labourers’ cottages. Naylor’s grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold Leighton Hall and the Estate in 1931.
Simple Tudor-Gothic style lodge of one-and-a-half storeys consisting of main gabled range with wings to L and R. The wing to L is set back and has a porch at the angle with the main range. Of rock-faced, snecked Cefn stone and ashlar dressings; coped gables on moulded kneelers and slate roof with axial stack to R wing which has 2 octagonal moulded shafts (and with roof dormer added to main range C20). The main elevations have 2-light mullioned windows incorporating sashes, with small single-light windows in the gables. The porch has a segmental pointed arch and a plain parapet over a string course. The door is panelled. (Behind the R wing is an added wing with flat roof.)
Not inspected (December 1996).
The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. Tafalog is an important element of this whole ensemble at Leighton. It is one of a series of lodges, all subtly different, which makes an important contribution to the architectural character of the Estate, and in contrast with the plainer brick labourers’ dwellings, expresses the hierarchy of estate buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings