History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sibieski Wynne Monument in churchyard of the Church of St Catrin

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangwm, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9881 / 52°59'17"N

Longitude: -3.4651 / 3°27'54"W

OS Eastings: 301744

OS Northings: 344419

OS Grid: SJ017444

Mapcode National: GBR 6K.HYJV

Mapcode Global: WH66V.R543

Entry Name: Sibieski Wynne Monument in churchyard of the Church of St Catrin

Listing Date: 1 April 1998

Last Amended: 1 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19587

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: The monument is in the SE corner of the churchyard.

County: Conwy

Community: Llangwm

Community: Llangwm

Locality: Maerdy

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfihangel-Glyn-Myfyr

History

Erected after 1886 in memory of Caroline Wynne, wife of John Wynne of Garthmeilog and widow of the vicar of Hatton in Warwickshire.

Exterior

Sandstone monument carved in the form of a Celtic high cross. Three steps rise to a splayed die, the top chamfered between end knobs, and carrying a tall tapered ring-headed cross. Front and back faces have 3 panels of interlace knotwork, and the narrow sides have a continuous elongated rectangular guilloche. The cross head is similarly decorated with the arms also enriched with small panels of interlace. Inscribed on the base I Ogoniant Duw / cyfonwyd ar ddymuniad / Caroline Sibieski, merch. / John Wynne, o'r Garthmeilig / Gweddw y parch. John Lynes / o Hatton Warwick / AD 1886.

Reasons for Listing

Included as of special interest as a good example of the later Victorian Celtic revival.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Gwesty y Gafr (The Goat Hotel)
    The inn stands in the centre of the village, on the angle of the road running NE to Betws Gwerful-goch.
  • II Pont Maesmor
    The bridge carries the minor road from off the Holyhead Road in Maerdy over the Afon Ceirw to Maesmor and beyond.
  • II Maesmor Hall
    The mansion stands in its own grounds alongside the S bank of the Afon Ceirw, and is reached by a driveway from beside Pont Maesmor on the road from Maerdy to Bala.
  • II Cymro Gate
    Located at the north-eastern boundary of the community and prominently-sited on the roadside.
  • II* Attached former Farmbuildings to Blaenddol House
    At the extreme north-west of the community, approached off a lane which leaves the main A5 at Pont Melin Rug.
  • II* Blaenddol House
    At the extreme north-west of the community, approached off a lane which leaves the main A5 at Pont Melin Rug.
  • II* Old House and attached Cartshed block at Cysulog
    Cysulog is about 1 km north of Maerdy. The Old House and Cartshed block is to the NW of the present house.
  • II Pont Rhyd-llefrith
    The bridge is on the minor road leading W off the A5 Holyhead Road at Dinmael.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.