History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Plas Coch

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1922 / 53°11'31"N

Longitude: -4.2291 / 4°13'44"W

OS Eastings: 251170

OS Northings: 368440

OS Grid: SH511684

Mapcode National: GBR 5K.2Z0Q

Mapcode Global: WH54D.01D4

Entry Name: Plas Coch

Listing Date: 23 April 1998

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19736

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Standing in parkland 600m NW of the parish church of St. Edwen.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Coch Estate

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Port Dinorwic

History

Part of an ancient estate, first recorded as belonging to Bran (c1150-80) and also known as Porthamel Issa. The original house was built in 1569 by David Hughes, with remodelling and the addition of a tower between 1590-1600. Further additions and alterations were made in the early C19, including the dining room in c1820, and again in the late C19, when the N gable was re-built in the style of the original house.

Exterior

Work of the original (1569) period is represented by the the front central block comprising the main entrance, hall and former library to left (S), and rear kitchen wing. Later additions to the N and W give an approximately rectangular plan overall. Symmetrically planned E front, 2 storeys with garret storey and basement, 5 bays overall with outer and central advanced gables, all with crow-stepped gables and carved finials. Walls of squared red sandstone with gritstone dressings, slate roof. The central gable forms a storeyed porch, with 4 centred door head set in a square frame, with moulded jambs and label; in the spandrels are shield of arms, Llywarch ap Bran for Hughes and Collwyn ap Tangno for Owen of Llanfaethlu. Late C16 Inscription around door reads: IN THE YERE OF LORD GOD 1569 D H MAD THYS HOU. Above the doorway is a C19 achievement in a small recess with late C16 flanking columns and pediment. C16 pedimented oriel window on C19 brackets, with mullioned garret window over. The outer gables have 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, pedimented on the ground and 1st floors. Between the gables, the outer windows are 4-light, with narrower 2-light windows abutting the porch gable. Paired, stepped gabled dormers in the roof above. S elevation: The stepped gable of the main block is similar to those on the E front. Windows are C19 insertions. W part added c1820, copying the late C16 work. N elevation: the kitchen block retains a late C16 window on 1st floor, similar to those on the E front. Over this is an original dormer window with C19 dressings. The W gable is stepped and the chimney stack has a double hollow chamfered coping, probably C19. The moulded eaves coping and corbels are carried around this block. The late C16 tower is in the angle of the hall and kitchen. Ogee roof, some original windows, copings and corbels.

Interior

Early symmetrical plan comprises porch with original internal doorway, leading to main hall with flanking wings, the former library and hall now being opened into one room. Hall contains C19 imperial staircase to right, and lateral fireplace to rear. N part of house dates from late C19. Attached to the rear of the hall is the kitchen, though with no direct access. A bedroom over the kitchen is said by RCAHM to contain a powder closet in the thickness of the wall, probably an C18 modification.

Reasons for Listing

Listed at II* as an exceptional example of a late C16 country gentry house, in the early Renaissance style favoured by high officials of the period, retaining much of its original external detail, and with sympathetic C19 additions in the character of the original.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Decorative walling in front of Plas Coch
    Length of decorative walling with steps, to the E of the main front of Plas Coch.
  • II Bridge at Plas Coch
    Located to the north of Plas Coch, within the grounds of the house. There is an ornamental pond to its south side.
  • II Barn at Plas Coch
    Located in an enclosed area c200m S of Plas Coch, on the edge of rolling parkland.
  • II Plas Coch Lodge
    At the entrance to Plas Coch, c150m N of the house.
  • II Walls and gatepiers at entrance to Plas Coch
    Forms the main entrance to Plas Coch, c150m N of house.
  • II Farm Lodge
    Located at the right side of the western entrance to Plas Newydd Home Farm and Plas Llanedwen, along the Moel-y-don road, c.200m SSE of the crossroads with the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.
  • II Church Lodge entrance walls and gatepiers
    Forming the western entrance to St. Edwen's Parish Church, along the Moel-y-don road, c.1.10km SSE of the crossroads with the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.
  • II Farm Lodge entrance walls and gate piers
    Forming the western entrance to Plas Newydd Home Farm and Plas Llanedwen, along the Moel-y-don road, c.200m SSE of the crossroads with the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.