History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Lodge entrance walls and gatepiers

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1898 / 53°11'23"N

Longitude: -4.2229 / 4°13'22"W

OS Eastings: 251575

OS Northings: 368159

OS Grid: SH515681

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.30N1

Mapcode Global: WH54D.32BZ

Plus Code: 9C5Q5QQG+WR

Entry Name: Church Lodge entrance walls and gatepiers

Listing Date: 23 April 1998

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19756

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Forming the western entrance to St. Edwen's Parish Church, along the Moel-y-don road, c.1.10km SSE of the crossroads with the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Newydd Estate

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Port Dinorwic

History

Probably built 1914, contemporary with the adjacent lodge, and designed by the Plas Newydd Estate Office Architect. The Plas Newydd Estate was one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. In 1812 the estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son; Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, and his descendants inherited both estate and title. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19; and a further programme of improvements was carried out in early C20.

Exterior

Square ashlar gate piers with slightly projecting plinth and cornice surmounted by globe finials. Flanking curved walls of rubble masonry with stressed course under a rendered capping; wall to right of entrance with smaller globe finial to far right, and ramping slope to end; continues as low rubble wall with railings above, terminating in a rubble plinth with cornice surmounted by a globe finial. Hole for bell-pull directly right of entrance with barred opening as viewing hole in curved wall to right.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a significant element of early C20 work for the Plas Newydd estate, and forming a coherent group with the adjacent contemporary lodge.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church Lodge
    Located at the right side of the western entrance to St. Edwen's Parish Church, along the Moel-y-don road, c.1.10km SSE of the crossroads with the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.
  • II Church of St. Edwen
    In an isolated location c250m from the Menai Strait, reached by a roadway past the Church Lodge of Plas Newydd Estate. The church lies c600m SW of Plas Coch.
  • II The Old Cutter
    Sited on the NW shore of the Menai Strait, facing Y Felinheli. Reached by a single track road leading off the A4080, passing Plas Coch.
  • II Barn at Plas Coch
    Located in an enclosed area c200m S of Plas Coch, on the edge of rolling parkland.
  • II Decorative walling in front of Plas Coch
    Length of decorative walling with steps, to the E of the main front of Plas Coch.
  • II* Plas Coch
    Standing in parkland 600m NW of the parish church of St. Edwen.
  • II Bridge at Plas Coch
    Located to the north of Plas Coch, within the grounds of the house. There is an ornamental pond to its south side.
  • II Plas Coch Lodge
    At the entrance to Plas Coch, c150m N of the house.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.