This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9594 / 52°57'33"N
Longitude: -4.0618 / 4°3'42"W
OS Eastings: 261602
OS Northings: 342219
OS Grid: SH616422
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.KPS6
Mapcode Global: WH55F.LW03
Entry Name: Aedicular Triple-arched Niche at Plas Brondanw Gardens including adjoining Wall and Gate to NE
Listing Date: 14 May 1998
Last Amended: 14 May 1998
Source ID: 19811
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Immediately SW of the Coach-house at Plas Brondanw; backing onto the lane at the garden's eastern boundary.
Locality: Plas Brondanw
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Garden feature built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, architect and owner of the Brondanw estate. The gardens were laid out to his designs in various stages between his inheritance of the estate in 1908 and his death in 1978. He created here one of Wales' most impressive gardens distinctive for its interlinked terraces, compartments and axial vistas that are aligned on the surrounding mountains of Moel Hebog, Moelwyn, Cnicht and Snowdon.
Tall rubble-built aedicule in the centre of the SE garden wall. The structure is approximately 4.5m high and of similar width. It consists of 3 tall round-arched niches, that to the centre slightly larger than those flanking; shaped gable above with broken segmental pediment. Projecting keystones to each arch, that to the centre with a blind oculus above. Within the central niche, and standing on a rubble pier, a life-sized classical white marble statue, probably C18; in the flanking niches are placed life-sized busts of Roman emperors, of terracotta on cement socles.
Adjoining to the L, the stepped-down rubble garden wall continues north-east-wards for 15m where it curves inwards and terminates with a stone ball finial; a plain wrought-iron gate links the wall with the coach-house.
Included for its special interest as a significant feature by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, within the nationally important gardens of Plas Brondanw.
Other nearby listed buildings