This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9593 / 52°57'33"N
Longitude: -4.0621 / 4°3'43"W
OS Eastings: 261580
OS Northings: 342202
OS Grid: SH615422
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.KPQ2
Mapcode Global: WH55F.KWW7
Entry Name: Gates and Gatepiers at SE corner of Plas Brondanw Gardens including Garden Wall to NE.
Listing Date: 14 May 1998
Last Amended: 14 May 1998
Source ID: 19812
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located at the southern corner of Plas Brondanw Gardens adjacent to the lane, the associated section of garden wall terminating at the Aedicular Triple Arch.
Locality: Plas Brondanw
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Garden feature built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, architect and owner of the Brondanw estate. The gardens were laid out to his designs in various stages between his inheritance of the estate in 1908 and his death in 1978. He created here one of Wales' most impressive gardens distinctive for its interlinked terraces, compartments and axial vistas that are aligned on the surrounding mountains of Moel Hebog, Moelwyn, Cnicht and Snowdon.
Tall, elegant gate-piers of rough-dressed local stone. Adjoining sections of wall slope up to the piers on both sides and also down to a frontal masonry projection at L. Plain, rivetted iron gates with shaped top; moulded capping with cement-stone urn finials.
The wall returns immediately beyond the R gate-pier and continues for approximately 30m to the NW where it joins the aedicule; plain wooden gate to the SW of this.
Listed as an integral feature of the nationally important gardens laid out at Plas Brondanw by Clough Williams-Ellis.
Other nearby listed buildings