History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trefarthen

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanidan, Isle of Anglesey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1697 / 53°10'10"N

Longitude: -4.2713 / 4°16'16"W

OS Eastings: 248272

OS Northings: 366025

OS Grid: SH482660

Mapcode National: GBR 5J.46X4

Mapcode Global: WH437.CL8F

Entry Name: Trefarthen

Listing Date: 20 May 1998

Last Amended: 20 May 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19872

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located c800m S of Brynsiencyn, at the end of a slate-fenced and walled farm road. The house overlooks parkland with slate-fenced stands of trees, and towards the Menai Strait c450m to the E. Behind t

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanidan

Community: Llanidan

Locality: Trefarthen

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Caernarfon

History

A large house and farm on the site of an ancient hamlet, mentioned in the Extent of 1294. The property passed to the family of Gruffydd of Penrhyn and Pilston of Caernarvon, eventually becoming part of the Vaynol estate. The present house dates from the mid C19. Built as a rectangular plan house, with rear wing added to form T-plan. It was further extended with a 2 storey wing to the right (N).

Exterior

Main part is symmetrically planned with central porch, 2 storeys with attics, 3 window range, double-depth in plan, with a 2 storey, 3 window wing to right (N), and 2 storey kitchen wing to rear (W). Walls of squared rubble; the front elevation is white-painted stucco, the left side (S) entirely slate-hung, and the rear is plain stone, with slate lintels. Hipped slate roof projecting at eaves and verges; rooflights to front, with rectangular slate-hung stacks to either end. Plain sill band to front with moulded hood bands over windows. Central porch with moulded plinth and cornice, coupled pilasters to round-headed doorway with moulded jambs, and round-headed windows to either side. Flanking windows renewed in original openings, but 2x4-pane sashes survive to first floor. Left hand return elevation (S) is slate hung, with one 4 pane sash window, two original windows as front, and one modern. To rear (W) of the main block is a 2 storey kitchen wing, with a pitched slate roof projecting at the verge, and with 4 pane sash windows. Attached to the right (N) of the main part and set back slightly, is a 2 storey, 3 window range (with a lower roofline than the house), with a rectangular stone stack to the right (N) gable end, raised in brick. Four pane sash windows to front and rear.

Interior

Central staircase plan with main entrance to hallway containing dog-leg staircase with curtail step and shaped brackets to an open string; stick balusters and wreathed and ramped handrail. Ground floor rooms all have panelled doors and window shutters, moulded plaster coving to ceilings throughout. Ground floor sitting room to left has a slate fire surround with mantel supported on scrolled, fluted corbels with acanthus leaf detail below; cast iron fire with decorative trellis work design; sitting room to left with similar fire surround and dining room to left, rear also with similarly detailed fire surround (without acanthus leaf detail) and floriated decorative hob grate.

Reasons for Listing

Listed notwithstanding alterations as a good example of a mid C19 gentry house retaining character especially in the retention of original interior detail; the house forms the nucleus of a well-preserved estate farmstead.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.