This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0826 / 53°4'57"N
Longitude: -3.223 / 3°13'22"W
OS Eastings: 318179
OS Northings: 354626
OS Grid: SJ181546
Mapcode National: GBR 6W.9X6Q
Mapcode Global: WH77J.GSH6
Entry Name: Gelli Gynan Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 May 1998
Last Amended: 29 May 1998
Source ID: 19908
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down long drive running W from point of B5431 some 1.5 km S of Llanarmon.
Community: Llanarmon-yn-Ial (Llanarmon-yn-Iâl)
Locality: Gelli Gynan
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Estate farmhouse to the Gelli Gynan estate but possibly incorporating the remains of an earlier gentry house. Gelli Gynan is recorded back to 1165 when given to Llywelyn ap Ynyr with Bodidris. Present house appears externally late C18 to earlier C19 on E front range but has remnants of C17 stone mullion and transom windows and a C17 external stack on S range, with 1687 datestone within, initialled TW. Marked on 1844 Tithe Map as owned by Wilson Jones, occupied by John Jones. John Lewis of Gelligynan Farm d1901 is buried at Rhiw Ial chapel.
Farmhouse, whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs. Two-storey, L-plan. E Front range has C19 red brick stack on axis of ridge, to right of entrance and small C19 red brick right end stack. Left end of roof is hipped. Long elevation with one-window range left of entrance, two-window range to right, all 6 windows C20 replacements in hardwood, 6-pane, square and relatively large, probably replacing triple casements. Stone sills, cambered heads to centre and left ground floor windows, and to first floor left, the others with flat timber lintels. Door is in whitewashed gabled porch with slate roof, and one side-wall horizontal-sliding casement. C20 door within. Right end gable is rendered and windowless, left end wall is part of S facing rear range, which incorporates oldest apparent parts of the building, and there is not an obvious structural joint between E and S ranges. S side has, to right, in end wall of E range, C20 window each floor, similar to those on front. Centre of the relatively long front has 2-window range of cambered-headed windows, the upper ones set slightly lower than upper right window. Mixed glazing, apparently to service or storage rooms, one 4-pane sash first floor right, casement pairs each floor to left. To left is ledged door with cambered head. Cambered heads have stone voussoirs. W end gable has remnant of a substantial C17 ovolo-moulded 4-light mullion-and-transom window, possibly reused and loft door over. Return to farm-court has attached farm range running N (listed separately), at right end. Massive central C17 external side-wall stack with broad chimneybreast and tall square stack. To right, slightly outshut section with small-paned window to ground floor and remains of C17 2-light stone-mullion window. Further right, within attached farm-building are former outside steps to house loft. Door into service range, datestone 16 TW 87 within and some heavy chamfered beams and oak joisted floors. To left of stack, outshut projects further with small C20 window right, door and large earlier C19 triple casement with cambered head left. Rear of front range has one small casement pair first floor centre and C20 lean-to porch left.
Not available for inspection.
Included as a a good late C18 to early C19 farmhouse incorporating the remains of a C17 gentry house, and forming part of a farmstead group.
Other nearby listed buildings