History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanarmon-yn-Ial, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0961 / 53°5'46"N

Longitude: -3.2106 / 3°12'38"W

OS Eastings: 319031

OS Northings: 356121

OS Grid: SJ190561

Mapcode National: GBR 6X.8SR0

Mapcode Global: WH77J.NFBS

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 19 July 1966

Last Amended: 29 May 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 736

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated facing E over churchyard in Llanarmon yn Ial village.

County: Denbighshire

Town: Ruthin

Community: Llanarmon-yn-Ial (Llanarmon-yn-Iâl)

Community: Llanarmon-yn-Ial

Locality: Llanarmon yn Ial

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llanferres

History

House, C18, said to have been the former vicarage replaced in 1825 by the house now called Alyn Bank (q.v.). There is some confusion in that the specification for the 1825 building says that the old vicarage was ruinous and recommends salvage and sale of materials. An inventory of 1758 describes the vicar's house as being of 4 bays with cellar, ground floor kitchen, 2 parlours and buttery and 5 bedrooms above which does not seem to accord with the present house. A building is marked roughly on the site on the 1844 Tithe Map, on land identified as glebe land.

Exterior

House, colour-washed rubble stone with slate roof, coped gables and stone end stacks. External chimneybreast on right end. 3 storeys with 2 windows to attic and first floor, and ground floor with door and additional window between the 2 main windows. Attic windows are horizontal small C20 4-pane lights placed under eaves and immediately over the painted voussoirs of the first floor windows, which were large casements, replaced in C20. Ground floor two main windows are slightly shorter, small-paned horizontal sliding casements, with similar painted voussoirs. C20 door to left of centre with painted voussoirs, door head higher than window heads. Former door had an overlight. Sliding casement pair with painted voussoirs to right of centre is a recent insertion. At each end is a large lean-to reaching up to main house eaves level, both windowless to front.

Reasons for Listing

Included as good example of a later C18 village house, of group value with the church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • I Church of St Garmon
    Situated in the centre of Llanarmon village.
  • II Bier House and Gates at Church of St Garmon
    Situated on W side of N entry into Llanarmon churchyard.
  • II Yale Cottage
    Situated on N side of road running W from village centre, some 100m WSW of the Raven Inn.
  • II Former Church School
    Situated just S of churchyard wall of church of St Garmon.
  • II Llwyn Onn
    Situated on the E side of Ffordd Rhiw Ial, that runs N from the village centre, and some 80m N of the Raven Inn.
  • II Plas Isaf
    Situated on E bank of River Alyn, just N of Pont Llanarmon.
  • II Pont Llanarmon
    Situated some 230m E of the church, by Llanarmon Mill.
  • II Alyn Bank
    Situated on E bank of the River Alyn, approached by drive off B5431, some 350m SSW of Llanarmon village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.