History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cefn-y-Waen Chapel including Vestry/Schoolroom and forecourt walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddeiniolen, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1454 / 53°8'43"N

Longitude: -4.1159 / 4°6'57"W

OS Eastings: 258577

OS Northings: 363006

OS Grid: SH585630

Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.5W31

Mapcode Global: WH54M.R66J

Plus Code: 9C5Q4VWM+5J

Entry Name: Cefn-y-Waen Chapel including Vestry/Schoolroom and forecourt walls

Listing Date: 2 June 1998

Last Amended: 4 November 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19954

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Approximately 0.7km south-east of Deiniolen, about 200m east of Eglwys Crist; front faces roughly south-west.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Caernarfon

Community: Llanddeiniolen

Community: Llanddeiniolen

Locality: Deiniolen

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in
Bethesda

History

Founded 1838 when former schoolroom was converted into chapel. The present chapel was built in 1868. The attached vestry/schoolroom at right angles to rear is said to have been converted from the 1838 chapel around 1896/8, but its appearance is now all late C19.

Exterior

Romanesque style. Rock-faced stone, snecked, with buff ashlar dressings; slate roof. Good 3-bay front with giant pilasters rising to pedimented gable with stepped Lombardic cornice, and oculus. In centre bay, large wheel-window of 10 lights; below this, paired round-headed doorways, floral capitals to jambs; boarded doors with overlights. Outer bays have 2-light round-headed window above oculi with semi-circlets. Two-storey, 6-bay side elevations, round-headed windows (upper floor taller), mainly modern glazing. Rear gable has Lombardic cornice, and oculus. Forecourt walls in rubble with wrought-iron railings; gates and gatepiers to right of chapel front. Rear vestry/schoolroom at right angles, has rendered walls, slate roof; gabled porch with modern doors to right side, round-headed window to front, window to each side.

Interior

Outer vestibule with flanking stairs to gallery, inner vestibule with side doorways to 2 aisles in body of chapel. Fine ceiling with classical cornice; outer margin strip with sunk panels, the long oval panels flanked by square and octagonal panels with moulded roses. Panelled central part of ceiling is ribbed and boarded, the central octagonal panel enclosing octagonal rose; pierced ceiling vents to ends. Wall plaster scribed as ashlar, matchboard dado. Gallery on 3 sides supported on iron columns with Corinthian capitals; wooden gallery frontal with broad panels; box pews. Central block of box pews divided from blocks beneath galleries by aisles; pews adjacent to set fawr face inwards. Set fawr enclosure with panelling, above which is shallow strip of baluster arcading; bench seating built in. Panelled pulpit with heavy cornice flanked by curving stairs; behind pulpit, semi-circular arch encloses panelling with hymn board.

Vestry/schoolroom: ceiling with circular vents; scribed rendered walls, matchboard dado. Dais with lectern and balustraded parapet with square newels. Side windows and one to rear retain sash glazing with marginal bars.

Reasons for Listing

Chapel with particularly fine front, little-altered; good complete interior with fine panelled ceiling. Makes a striking landscape group with the nearby Eglwys Crist, the 2 buildings forming a graphic example of the C19 competition between Church and Chapel.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Eglwys Crist (Christ Church)
    Situated in large roughly square-shaped churchyard approximately 0.5 km east of Deiniolen and 200m west of Cefn-y-Waen Chapel on north side of road from Deiniolen to Dinorwic; the church is aligned no
  • II Parc-y-garnedd
    Situated at end of short track in remote moorland-edge location on eastern side of minor road leading north from Dinorwic to join the road from Deiniolen to Mynydd Llandegai; set in its own stone-wall
  • II Bryn-brith
    Situated at end of short track in remote moorland-edge location on eastern side of minor road leading north from Dinorwic to join the road from Deiniolen to Mynydd Llandegai; set in its own stone-wall
  • II Disused cottage immediately to north-east of Maes Eilian
    Set at an oblique angle above the road to the rear of a group of Council houses (Maes Eilian) on the north side of the minor road from Dinorwic to Deiniolen; low slate-stone wall in front of cottage.
  • II Ty'n-fawnog
    Situated on north-west side of cross roads at Dinorwic approximately 100m north-west of the Presbyterian church; skilfully executed dry slate slab wall to road frontage.
  • II* Felin Sarn
    On S side of minor road through village, about 1km E of junction with B 4547.
  • II Tan y Graig
    Situated on wooded slope off west side of track leading down from the Brynrefail to Dinorwic Road towards the former slate quarry on the north side of Llyn Padarn; low rubblestone wall in front of cot
  • II Bron Ceris
    Set just below the road running through Fachwen from Brynrefail to Dinorwic above the north side of Llyn Padarn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.