This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.142 / 53°8'31"N
Longitude: -4.1046 / 4°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 259323
OS Northings: 362610
OS Grid: SH593626
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.65DF
Mapcode Global: WH54M.X9L3
Entry Name: Bryn-brith
Listing Date: 4 November 1999
Last Amended: 4 November 1999
Source ID: 22646
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at end of short track in remote moorland-edge location on eastern side of minor road leading north from Dinorwic to join the road from Deiniolen to Mynydd Llandegai; set in its own stone-wall
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Shown on the 1838 Tithe Map, the cottage is likely to have been built as part of a smallholding created after 1814: the Enclosure Award of that year, following the Enclosure Act promoted by Thomas Assheton Smith the first (1752-1828) in 1806-08, allotted to the Vaynol Estate most of the mountain common close to his Dinorwic Slate Quarry. These holdings were typically of between 3 and 10 acres (1.2 and 4ha), characterised by the regular pattern of their field boundaries and enabled the quarrymen and their families to supplement their paid income by engaging in subsistence agriculture. While the plots were laid out by the Estate, the quarrymen themselves were responsible for building the cottages; the process of enclosure was initially contested by existing squatters on the common, including several quarrymen and their wives during the 'riot' of 1809.
Single-storey 2-room plan, aligned roughly north-east to south-west. Irregularly coursed rubblestone with extensive traces of render; graded slate roof with coped verges. Front has windows (joinery largely gone at time of Survey) with slate cills on either side of slightly offset boarded door; integral end stacks with slate drips. In poor condition.
Interior not accessible at time of Survey.
Included, notwithstanding its poor condition, as an essentially well-preserved and largely unaltered early C19 quarryman's cottage typical of the type authorised by Thomas Assheton Smith as part of his development of the Dinorwic Slate Quarry after c1814. The cottage forms part of a group of these buildings on the moorland edge near Dinorwic, a classic illustration of the way in which this major landowner sought to control the process of settlement associated with the exploitation of the Dinorwic quarries and encourage the development of marginal land.
Other nearby listed buildings