This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2171 / 53°13'1"N
Longitude: -3.6084 / 3°36'30"W
OS Eastings: 292702
OS Northings: 370105
OS Grid: SH927701
Mapcode National: GBR 6C.1CZC
Mapcode Global: WH65M.JDYJ
Entry Name: Churchyard Walls and Bierhouse at St Mary's Church including Sandstone Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 22 July 1998
Last Amended: 22 July 1998
Source ID: 20177
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Enclosing the churchyard of St Mary's church.
Community: Llanfair Talhaiarn (Llanfair Talhaearn)
Community: Llanfair Talhaiarn
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Random rubble churchyard walls enclosing the area of the original Llan, with a late C19 rectangular bierhouse at the SW corner, perhaps contemporary with the restoration by J Oldrid Scott in 1876.
Of rubble with squared, rough-dressed limestone quoins and a slate roof; plain, deep verges. Boarded door to the E side with exposed timber lintel and stopped-chamfered frame. The S (road-facing) gable has large boarded double doors with exposed timber lintel. To the R of the bierhouse is a plain iron gate with square limestone piers and shallow pyramidal capping (that to the R pier of cement).
The churchyard wall runs eastwards from this point for some 50m at a height of approximately 1.5m with stones set on edge as capping. Opposite the S door of the church is a plain late C19 or early C20 iron gate with tall flanking sandstone gatepiers. These are probably early C18 (perhaps relating to the cyclopean W entrance lintel at the church, dated 1715). They are square, approximately 2.3m high and with elongated pyramidal capping with surmounting ball finials; the piers are spiked into the walls. To the R of the gate the wall curves around the E side of the churchyard where it becomes a revetment wall following a path down to the village; this section has an irregular rubble crenellated parapet and reaches a height of approximately 4.2m at the NE corner of the churchyard. The wall continues around the N side of the churchyard as a lower revetment and finally returns southwards as a low rubble wall to join up with the bierhouse. A later, early C20 walled churchyard adjoins to the W.
Included for group value with the parish church of St Mary.
Other nearby listed buildings