This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9308 / 52°55'50"N
Longitude: -3.0571 / 3°3'25"W
OS Eastings: 329039
OS Northings: 337567
OS Grid: SJ290375
Mapcode National: GBR 73.MFWH
Mapcode Global: WH89J.0LJJ
Entry Name: Bryn Coed
Listing Date: 29 July 1998
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 20249
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house stands in its own grounds at the E end of Castle Street, overlooking the valley to the rear.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Built-Up Area: Chirk
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The house was built in 1912 by Shayler and Ridge, architects, for A Wood, manager of Brynkinallt Colliery, Chirk Green, in a Restoration revival style. The central bay was altered in 1916, and the service end added later in a matching style.
Built of Ruabon type purple-red brick, with a hipped slate roof with yellow clayware ridges and timber dentilled eaves cornice. Two storey, 3 bays, U-plan with the end bays set forward, and extended later by an L-shaped service wing on the E forming a third front wing. The front angles of the two main wings have narrow stone quoins in the brickwork and 12-paned sashes, the boxes set to the front. The recessed centre bay has a single storey entrance block spanning between the wings. Central 6-panelled door with cross glazed overlight, set in an eared and limestone frame, swept pediment over and ball finial. Nine-paned sashes each side. The recessed first floor has a central keyed oculus and 8-paned sashes each side. Brick stacks flank the wings. Door on the W return end. The added service wing is in a similar but plainer style, a recessed bay and hipped forward wing. A lean-to is placed in front of the recessed section. The wings extend to the rear as 2-storey bays with hipped slate roofs, in the recessed bay between which there is a sun louge and a central 12-pane sash flanked by oculi on the first floor.
The front door opens to a lobby with a visitor's card opening on the right. The inner doors opens to a large circulation hallway with the balustered principal stair set transversely against the back wall. The main reception rooms open to the S.
Included as a fine example of the late C19-early C20 Restoration revival style, notable for its composition (its symmetry and massing) and attention to detail (in use of materials, restrained decorative elements, etc). A very well preserved example of its type.
Other nearby listed buildings