This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9366 / 51°56'11"N
Longitude: -3.2998 / 3°17'59"W
OS Eastings: 310735
OS Northings: 227258
OS Grid: SO107272
Mapcode National: GBR YT.N046
Mapcode Global: VH6C0.RLC7
Entry Name: Glynderi
Listing Date: 21 August 1998
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 20315
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the small hamlet of Tal-y-llyn on the E side of the lane to Pennorth, reached by a short drive and close to Brynderwen.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Built 1816 probably associated with the nearby Hay Railway opened 1816, with the station at Tal-y-llyn junction close by to N. Brick, unusual in this stone built area, was probably brought in by the tramroad. Stone L shaped wing may be an earlier house converted or a coachouse wing; it is now a separate dwelling used for holiday accommodation. Original name Brynderwen, this was also the name of the area before the advent of the railway.
Regency style house. Main building of scored rendered brick with hipped Welsh slate roof with narrow lateral stacks; attached L-shaped wing mostly of painted stone rubble with Welsh slate roof slightly hipped to garden frontage with end stack opposite. Main range of 3 storeys and cellar has three 8/8 pane sash windows in reveals and with narrow painted sills to first floor, small 4 pane light centre right; 3/6 pane sashes above; 8/8 pane sashes to ground floor either side of central gabled porch with decorative barge-boards; doorway to house has panelled door, panelled reveals and bracketed entablature. Rear elevation facing garden is similar but with narrower windows, 8/8 pane sashes to first floor with platband above, 3/6 pane attic windows, and ground floor openings altered 1990s by addition of large conservatory, cellar windows below retained; earlier lean-to conservatory attached to S. Two storey wing has one 6/6 pane and one 8/8 pane sash window to first floor; altered windows under cambered arches below; garden frontage has probably inserted 8/8 pane sash at first floor level. Walled garden to S.
Interior retains 6 panelled doors, Regency basket arch between 2 ground floor rooms to right; staircase with wreathed handrails ascends from left behind frontage. Fireplaces to upper floors reputedly retained.
Included as a medium sized Regency country house with important historical associations with early railway development in the area.
Other nearby listed buildings