This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9191 / 51°55'8"N
Longitude: -3.2426 / 3°14'33"W
OS Eastings: 314639
OS Northings: 225236
OS Grid: SO146252
Mapcode National: GBR YW.P8B9
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.R144
Entry Name: Treholford
Listing Date: 21 August 1998
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 20320
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the hamlet of Cathedine, on rising ground above the main road to E and Cathedine church, and reached by a lane and drive.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Three storey house to right built 1796 and large 2 storey Regency wing added 1837. C17 elements recorded by Brycheiniog to rear. Earlier house built by Champion de Crespigny who also owned Ty Mawr and was High Sheriff 1796. Property bought from Crespigny by JPW Gwynne Holford who erected later wing reputedly for use as a Dower House; the family also owned Buckland Estate nearby at Talybont. Owner at time of Cathedine Tithe 1839 was a Holford and outline of building only is shown, not hatched, which might imply it was still unfinished at time of survey. JPW Gwynne Holford (1833-1916), presumably the son of the builder of the Regency house, was Deputy Lieutenant for Brecon and MP for Brecknockshire 1870-90. Entrance alterations probably carried out under his ownership. Estate sold following his death in 1919. Photograph taken for sale particulars shows left frontage with lean-to conservatory. Holford family also owned Westonbirt in Gloucestershire.
Late C18 house of stone rubble and ashlar formerly colour washed, with shallow pitch hipped Welsh slate roof with overhanging eaves and slender ashlar end and ridge stacks with overflying courses. Three storeys, former 3 window range of sashes in reveals with narrow sills; the left bay was altered to 2 storeys to link with later wing and now has two large sash windows with slender glazing bars, 6/6 to first floor and 8/8 to ground; centre and right bay have 3/3 pane sashes to top floor, 3/3 horned sashes to first floor and French windows inserted at ground floor level in place of former central front door and sash window to right. To left is the early C19 wing, the roof invisible behind a parapet and moulded cornice. Main frontage has roughly central doorway with deep later remodelled ashlar porch; to right is a two storey semicircular bay with tripartite curved sashes to first floor and altered window below; storeys separated by a platband; windows above door and to left are 6/6 pane sashes, with ground floor window left again altered to a French window. Frontage facing lake has a similar slighty shallower curved 2 storey bay with 2 large sash windows at each level providing different views with light well to cellar below; bay to left has 6/6 pane sashes to both floors again separated by a platband. Rear has a further curved 2 storey bay with 6/6 pane sash windows to each floor and long 4/4 pane staircase sash; further 8/8 pane sash windows and a double 6/6 pane sash to left. Attached hipped roof wing with 8/8 pane sashes extending to stables and coachouse with 10/15 pane hoppers and boarded doors. Side elevation of older house has 6/6 pane sash windows with tooled stone surrounds, one a remodelled doorway and wing to rear with remodelled carriage arch.
Interior largely retains the plan established in the remodelling of 1837 and many of its late C18 early C19 fittings including shutters, panelled reveals and soffit, 6 panelled doors and contemporary glass in the sashes. Staircase with balusters rises from main hall of the 1837 wing. Stable wing to rear now incorporated into house retains much of its original stall panelling.
Listed as a fine late C18 and early C19 country house with strong connections with county estate owning families.
Other nearby listed buildings