History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Limekiln at Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Sanitary Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangynidr, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8708 / 51°52'14"N

Longitude: -3.2449 / 3°14'41"W

OS Eastings: 314383

OS Northings: 219864

OS Grid: SO143198

Mapcode National: GBR YW.S7QN

Mapcode Global: VH6CF.P7WQ

Entry Name: Limekiln at Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Sanitary Station

Listing Date: 28 August 1998

Last Amended: 28 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20385

Building Class: Commercial

Location: On E side of Bridge 134 and on N side of canal.

County: Powys

Community: Llangynidr

Community: Llangynidr

Locality: Cwm Crawnon

Built-Up Area: Llangynidr

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in


Probably the kiln erected in 1827 to produce lime for the maintenance of locks on the Brecknock & Abergavenny Canal. The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley with the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The first section, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangynidr, was cut between 1797 and 1799, with the upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections engineered by Thomas Dadford. The lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile was completed in 1812 and was engineered by William Crosley. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny and the Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. The last toll was taken on the canal at Llangynidr in 1933. Restoration of the canal began in 1964.


Consisting of a random-rubble revetment wall with a low round-headed draw arch. The draw hole is blocked with rubble stone behind the face of the wall. The wall has a modern stone coping. A later retaining wall is attached to the L. On top is a modern toilet block, on W side of which is a round concrete cap, probably indicating that there was a second kiln. It is unusual that the kiln(s) were charged at the level of the tow-path - normally the draw arch is found at this level (eg Llangattock and Talybont on Usk).

Reasons for Listing

Included for the special interest of the kiln's association with the canal company, and for group value with Bridge 134.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.