History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lock No 65

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangynidr, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8703 / 51°52'12"N

Longitude: -3.2446 / 3°14'40"W

OS Eastings: 314409

OS Northings: 219809

OS Grid: SO144198

Mapcode National: GBR YW.S7V4

Mapcode Global: VH6CF.Q832

Entry Name: Lock No 65

Listing Date: 28 August 1998

Last Amended: 28 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20387

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated midway between the Embanked Aqueduct over the Afon Crawnon and Bridge No 134.

County: Powys

Community: Llangynidr

Community: Llangynidr

Locality: Cwm Crawnon

Built-Up Area: Llangynidr

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llangynidr

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley with the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The first section, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangynidr, was cut between 1797 and 1799, with the upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections engineered by Thomas Dadford. The lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile was completed in 1812 and was engineered by William Crosley. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny and the Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. The canal was an important artery for trade in iron from the works in the north-east corner of the coalfield and for lime and coal to supply the Usk Valley. The last toll was taken on the canal at Llangynidr in 1933. Restoration of the canal began in 1964.

Exterior

Lock chamber has stone copings and is partly refaced in brick. Modern paddle gear and gates replaced in 1988.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest as part of a group of structures on this stretch of the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal which was completed in 1799.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.