This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0733 / 53°4'23"N
Longitude: -4.3062 / 4°18'22"W
OS Eastings: 245595
OS Northings: 355385
OS Grid: SH455553
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BJF7
Mapcode Global: WH43S.T0LR
Entry Name: Rubble-walled rear service drive to west of Glynllifon House
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20449
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To west of the house, these high rubble walls border the rear service drive.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
c1840 (see date on footbridge) and contemporary with the mid C19 rebuilding of the house and stables and general estate improvements by the 3rd Lord Newborough.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.
Rubble screen walls approximately 4m high bordering the rear service drive which is approximately 4m wide and climbs eastwards towards the kitchen court at the back of the house.
The drive loops to the right and then left and at the midpoint of this corner is a dressed stone archway with lamp brackets into courtyard in front of stable block. At right angles to this to the west is a smaller archway into the narrow yard behind the stables that was probably also reached via the now blocked archway in the screen wall at the west end of the service drive. The wall to the north slopes downward to about 1m height before ascending back up to full height where it meets at a skewed angle the further rubble wall that borders the parallel track from the kitchen gardens, and the courtyard by the Palm House, up to the accommodation above the kitchen court. On both sides the wall runs right up to the house.
This drive is crossed midway along by the dated iron footbridge separately listed.
Included for group value with neighbouring listed items at Glynllifon for its contribution to the historic character of the immediate surroundings of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings