This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0738 / 53°4'25"N
Longitude: -4.3075 / 4°18'27"W
OS Eastings: 245508
OS Northings: 355444
OS Grid: SH455554
Mapcode National: GBR 5G.BB49
Mapcode Global: WH43L.SZZX
Entry Name: Workshops
Listing Date: 8 September 1998
Last Amended: 30 September 1999
Source ID: 20459
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the westernmost edge of the complex of estate buildings immediately adjacent to Glynllifon House; south of the central walled garden.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably built by 2nd Lord Newborough and therefore before 1832; stylistically similar to other features by him. Provided the ancillary estate services such as gas works, tannery, smithy, slate mill, cartsheds and a timber mill. Now mostly converted to craft workshops, the former sawmill has been incorporated into the visitor centre for the country park.
Glynllifon was the seat of the Wynn family and Sir Thomas John Wynn became the 1st Lord Newborough in 1776. The house was rebuilt after a fire 1836-48 by Edward Haycock, architect of Shrewsbury.
The yard is formed by two parallel ranges running north-south linked at either end by screen walls, that to the north bordering onto the central one of the three former kitchen gardens and that to the south with a tall arched entrance. Set back to the left of this is a further range running uphill east-west and midway along the rear of the west courtyard range is an engine house with chimney (listed separately). Until a few years ago there was a barn in the centre of the yard; now it only retains two circular features possibly part of former horse gins. The ranges are all built of local coursed rubble with dressed slate lintels and red brick voussoirs; slate roofs, brick chimneys and other brick dressings. The surviving C19 windows are of the small-pane horizontally sliding sash type typical of the 2nd Lord Newborough's estate buildings at Glynllifon.
The tall arched entrance has double timber gates and is set within a gable topped by a gabled bellcote with bell in situ, cast by Mears of London Founders. The arch is flanked by unusually broad gabled buttresses which appear to be a diagnostic feature of the 2nd Lord Newborough's work. 2-window range to right and short screen wall to left. The outer side of the east courtyard range borders the road up to the farm and has mostly replaced glazing although largely in original openings. Wide eaves and metal brace plates to the central 2-storey block; blocked cart opening.
Within the courtyard the most interesting range is that to west which comprises the estate office at the south end, then a loading bay area and then a range of former cartsheds beneath a well-lit loft. The 'office' is given the number 16 on the slate lintel and on the 1st floor has a slate plaque inscribed in Welsh to the memory of William Cadwalladr Williams (1850-1919) who worked in this office for 20 years. One small-pane horizontally sliding sash to ground floor, a narrow vertical sash to 1st floor and a modern enlarged window to left; boarded door. To the right of this are steps up within the covered loading area (No 15) and then six former cartsheds. Those to either end have been infilled, that to the south now has gated store and that to the north has either been infilled quite early or reuses earlier features as it contains a Gothick detailed window and door under a single pointed arch labelled 'Pattern Store'. Cartshed No 5, second from the south, has been brought forward under an outside staircase to a boarded loft door. This is a modification as the door is within an original window opening (see brick jambs) and the adjacent window to the left is set within a blocked doorway so perhaps the stairs were originally at right angles to the building similar those at the far north end which rise against the outer side of the garden wall. The loft is lit by a row of ten horizontally sliding small-pane sashes and a later 3-light window at the south end.
The east side is formed by a series of stepped ranges, 2-storey to the middle and north end and otherwise single-storey; retains some well-detailed red brick chimney stacks. The 2-window central block has an infilled carriage arch to the left, a boarded door and window to right and a pair of horizontally sliding sash windows to 1st floor. The range is briefly set back to left containing, in front of a door and window, an outside staircase to the 1st floor of the central block. 1-bay unit (No 8) to left with modern window and then the 2-window uphill block with original windows to 1st floor but larger modern window below. This block also has a central gabled louvre, now glazed. The southern end of this range has further blocked carriage arch. At right angles at the south end is a short range with to the left, a stable door flanked by two windows and to right a carriage arch with brick voussoirs; the roof has a shallow ventilator and rooflights.
Set back to the west and adjoining the rear of the western range is the former estate sawmill which now serves as the Visitor Centre for the country park. Along its southern side is a lean-to storage area and the gable end has modern doors.
Largely converted for use as Visitor Centre and craft workshops. The ticket office and exhibition area are contained within the former sawmill which retains king-post roof trusses, railed track set into floor and various drives formerly drawing power from the adjacent engine house.
Listed as an integral part of the fine C19 estate complex at Glynllifon which retains good historic character.
Other nearby listed buildings