This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0772 / 53°4'38"N
Longitude: -3.3049 / 3°18'17"W
OS Eastings: 312678
OS Northings: 354129
OS Grid: SJ126541
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.B1PQ
Mapcode Global: WH77H.6XH9
Entry Name: Eyarth Hall
Listing Date: 15 September 1998
Last Amended: 19 May 2001
Source ID: 20508
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To W of minor road between A494 and A525, about 4km S of Ruthin.
Community: Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd
Community: Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The oldest part of Eyarth Hall is apparently the west wing, built end on into the slope. The house was much enlarged in the C17 and probably the late C18 or early C19, and there were alterations after a C19 fire, when the east block, formerly of three storeys, was rebuilt as two.
The house bears dates of 1599 and 1606. The house, or its predecessor, is said to have been owned by the Lords of Chirk, then by the Wynne family (initials "RW" displayed with date 1606), and in 1870s by James Goodrich, High Sheriff of the County.
Eyarth Hall, otherwise Eyarth Uchaf, is a large house partially built on sloping ground at right angles to the slope. It is approached from the north, the main range being of three storeys, mock-timber framed, with a slate roof and two large end-chimneys and one smaller mid-chimney in local limestone. Attached to this are gabled wings to west, north and south and a cross-wing to the east. The front (north) elevation of the main range has a 16-pane sash window to each floor, and a smaller 12-pane sash window to first floor over to left; gabled attic dormer. The garden (south) elevation has a tall rendered chimney at right and a small attic dormer. On ground floor to the right is a single-storey splayed bay window, with a doorway to its left. Small sash window at eaves, and 12-pane sash; to left a tripartite small-pane window to first and ground floors, and similar window at upper level beyond lower timber-framed south wing at right angles.
The north wing is gabled and contains the main entrance. This is in C17 timber-framing with a slate roof. It is two windows wide. The main door is to the left, entering a space which was originally an open porch. Above the door is the date 1606 and the initials RW. Above at right is a horizontally sliding sash window. Large stone chimney at right.
The west wing projects into steeply rising ground. Its north elevation has two gabled dormers, the left with a leaded window and the right with a loft door. Glazed lean-to porch in angle below. Sash window in the west gable elevation.
The east cross-wing is also mock-half-timbered. Its east elevation has 2 two-storey splayed bay windows, between which are a small-pane window at the eaves, and a small-pane casement to the ground floor. Small south wing also mock-timber-framed.
The gardens and approach drive are said to contain stone features probably contemporary with the house but much refashioned in the C19, including water-worn limestone copings.
The interior of house reflects its many building phases, with exposed beams and joists, panelled and planked doors (particularly to west wing) and several large fireplaces. The porch leads to a hallway with a C17 planked screen to right. Date on plasterwork over fireplace "1599". In the east block there is a large fireplace with severed beam. Inglenook fireplace to kitchen. Late C19 Jacobethan staircase showing signs of re-use. On the landing there is a date plaque in plaster with an heraldic shield, the date "1606" and initials "RW". Wooden secondary stairs. (Interior inspected in 1998).
A complex house with features of architectural interest from C16 to C19. The gardens of the house retain surviving features from the Tudor period.
Other nearby listed buildings