History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stop Lock, Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangattock, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8439 / 51°50'37"N

Longitude: -3.1299 / 3°7'47"W

OS Eastings: 322256

OS Northings: 216742

OS Grid: SO222167

Mapcode National: GBR F1.V07S

Mapcode Global: VH6CH.PXPD

Entry Name: Stop Lock, Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal

Listing Date: 21 October 1998

Last Amended: 21 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20704

Building Class: Transport

Location: The stop lock is between Dark Bridge and Pen-pedair-heol Bridge (Canal Bridges Nos 109 and 110), 0.15km NE of Pen-Pedair-Heol Farm.

County: Powys

Community: Llangattock (Llangatwg)

Community: Llangattock

Locality: Pen-Pedair-Heol

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llangattock

History

The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was proposed in 1792 to connect the Upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The middle section of the canal, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangattock, was cut between 1797 and 1799. The upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections being engineered by Thomas Dadford. The lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile was completed in 1812 and was engineered by William Crosley. The canal was sold to the Monmouthshire Canal Company in 1865, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. The last toll was taken on the canal in 1933 and it was finally abandoned in 1962. The canal, renamed the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, has been undergoing restoration since 1964, and is currently used by pleasure craft.

The stop lock lies within the section constructed by Thomas Dadford between 1797 and 1799.

Exterior

Parallel abutments of rubble sandstone with splayed ends. Approximately in the centre are 2 vertical rebates, replaced in concrete, for the stop planks. To the E, the canal widens to form a basin.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as a rare surviving stop lock on the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pen-pedair-heol Bridge (Canal Bridge No 110)
    The bridge carries a lane which runs S from the B4558 towards the Mynydd Llangattock. It is 100m NW of Pen-Pedair-Heol Farm.
  • II Dark Bridge (Canal Bridge No 109)
    Situated 0.45km E of Pen-pedair-heol Bridge (Canal Bridge No 110), this bridge links areas of woodland and carries a path.
  • II Park Bridge (Canal Bridge No 112)
    The bridge carries a footpath over the canal and links Llangattock Park with fields beyond. Located 0.3km SE of Park Farm.
  • II Le Chateau (also known as Llan Wysg)
    Set back from the S side of the A40 W of Cwrt-y-Gollen Training Camp.
  • II Llwmus Bridge (Canal Bridge No 113)
    The bridge links Llangattock Park with the fields beyond. Located 0.3km SW of Park Farm.
  • II Llangattock Park House
    Set within Llangattock Park which is situated on the SE side of the village. The house is towards the S end of the park. A nursing home adjoins to the SW, partly occupying former outbuildings.
  • II Greenhill Villas
    Situated on SE edge of the town beyond the Recreation Ground; No 1 set back behind iron-railed and rubble-walled front garden.
  • II Greenhill Villas
    Situated on SE edge of the town beyond the Recreation Ground; No 1 set back behind iron-railed and rubble-walled front garden.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.