History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tomb to Henry Vaughan to E of Church of St Ffraed

A Grade II Listed Building in Talybont-on-Usk, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9032 / 51°54'11"N

Longitude: -3.2767 / 3°16'36"W

OS Eastings: 312260

OS Northings: 223510

OS Grid: SO122235

Mapcode National: GBR YT.QCVS

Mapcode Global: VH6C7.5F3C

Entry Name: Tomb to Henry Vaughan to E of Church of St Ffraed

Listing Date: 17 December 1998

Last Amended: 17 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21178

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Towards the E edge of Llansantffraed churchyard; stands in a later flagged area part enclosed by railings.

County: Powys

Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)

Community: Talybont-on-Usk

Locality: Llansantffraed

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffread

History

Henry Vaughan was one ot the school of C17 metaphysical poets, also a member of the important Vaughan family of Tretower. His family lived at nearby Newton, where he is believed to have been born; his brother served as rector of Llansantffraed church, and his sister lived at Trebinshwn on the other side of the mountain near Llangorse Lake. Inscription may have been recut.

Exterior

Large flat tomb slab built up from ground inscribed Henricus Vaughan Siluris MD OBIT 1695 with Latin epitaph and large engraved crest of 3 bonnetted faces with a chevron, grooved edge to inscription. Separate stone at foot engraved HVE 1689.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its importance as the gravestone of a nationally important literary figure.

Group value with the Church of St Ffraed, the Gwynne Holford monument and Llansantffraed House.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St Ffraed
    On rising ground just above the main road to Brecon which passes beneath it to W close by the River Usk, set in a roughly rectangular walled churchyard.
  • II Gwynne Holford Monument in the churchyard to SW of Church of St Ffraed
    In Llansantffraed churchyard, SW of the church, in a prominent position by the boundary wall overlooking the road.
  • II Llansantffraed House
    In a dominating position adjacent to Llansantffraed church, above the main road between Abergavenny and Brecon, overlooking the River Usk.
  • II The Old Rectory
    By the main road between Brecon and Abergavenny, NW of Llansantffraed church, on the banks of the River Usk.
  • II Former Talybont Railway Station
    NE of Talybont village, on the road which joins the main Brecon Abergavenny Road, just S of the River Usk.
  • II Gilestone
    On low lying ground in the Usk Valley, N of Talybont village, reached by a long farmtrack across fields from the road E, or a less used track across the canal to S.
  • II Barn range at Maes Mawr
    On the opposite side of the lane from Maes Mawr farmhouse, reached off B4558.
  • II Chilson Bridge (Canal Bridge No.146)
    N of Talybont village and SW of Gilestone.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.