This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.883 / 51°52'58"N
Longitude: -3.304 / 3°18'14"W
OS Eastings: 310340
OS Northings: 221300
OS Grid: SO103213
Mapcode National: GBR YS.RK33
Mapcode Global: VH6C6.PX4V
Entry Name: Group of 7 chest tombs in Aberclydach chapel cemetery
Listing Date: 17 December 1998
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 21201
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: On the S side of the chapel, interspersed by headstones.
Community: Talybont-on-Usk (Tal-y-bont ar Wysg)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Those commemorated are: 1 Margaret wife of David Morgans of Maes Mawr d 1784, 2 Mary wife of T Pugh d 1811 and Thomas d 1848, 3 William Esgate? of Talybont shopkeeper d 1832, 4 William Powell of Gilestone d 1812, 5 Howell Williams of Berthllwyd d 1766, wife Rachel d 1787 and infant son d 1764, 6 Evan Philip of Ynys y postau (?) and wife Jane d 1855 also Jane d 1776, 7 Margaret wife of William Powell d 1788. Chapel and cemetery established 1762 by Howell Williams of Berthllwyd, commemorated in a plaque in the churchyard wall; his tomb is 5 above and probably one of the earliest in the cemetery since he died in 1766.
The chapel built 1762, extended 1856 and rebuilt 1876, served the Independent Cause in the Caerfanell valley extending to the remote Glyn Collwn.
The chest tombs are near the S side of the chapel, the first four being roughly in a line parallel with the side wall numbered from E to W, numbers 5 and 6 being a little further S and number 7 beside number 6. They are all made of local stone and plain in design; some inscriptions are illegible. 1 has primary inscription on N side in a decorative panel with floral motif, epitaph inscription S, part collapsed; 2 has inscription on slab, illegible earlier inscription S, another E, epitaph N; 3 has primary inscription N in an oval panel with fluted piers, moulded slab, S side collapsed; 4 has tooled inscription panel on S side, another N, urn-shaped corners, moulded slab; 5 has primary inscription on slab, further insciption on N side, lengthy epitaphs; 6 has inscription on slab, further earlier panel to N side, chest of coursed stone; 7 is collapsed.
Included for group value with the chapel and surrounding cemetery wall as the major structural elements in a cemetery containing also headstones of outstanding qualifty.
Other nearby listed buildings