This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4871 / 51°29'13"N
Longitude: -3.6084 / 3°36'30"W
OS Eastings: 288419
OS Northings: 177691
OS Grid: SS884776
Mapcode National: GBR HC.KF32
Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.DWQB
Entry Name: Home Farm
Listing Date: 29 January 1999
Last Amended: 29 January 1999
Source ID: 21240
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 200m NE of the parish church and on the N side of the farm yard.
Community: Merthyr Mawr
Community: Merthyr Mawr
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Home Farm is the site of Merthyr Mawr Hall, a house described by Leland in the mid C16. An early map of Merthyr Mawr Hall shows it as a 2-storey house with attic dormers, behind which was a courtyard and a gatehouse. A plan of Merthyr Mawr Estate surveyed in 1794 suggests the hall stood to the S of the present farm house.
After the Merthyr Mawr Estate was purchased by Sir John Nicholl in 1804, the old hall was demolished and was replaced by a new farmhouse which became the Home Farm of the estate, while a new mansion was built on a new site to the NE. An estate map of 1813 shows the new farm house built partly on the walls of a kitchen garden shown on the 1794 survey, and which was later modified so that the entire house backed on to the garden.
A 2-storey, 5-bay house of whitewashed rubble stone and hipped slate roof with stone stacks R and L of centre. Symmetrical front, the outer bays set back slightly. Small-pane horizontal sliding sashes (vertical sashes to R-hand bay), and a blind window above the doorway. The doorway has a boarded door under a simple late C19 wood canopy. In the R side wall is an outshut set back, with a boarded door with fixed lights to the front. On the L side is a parallel, lower 1-storey kitchen and service wing with boarded door and overlight to R, a 12-pane sash window under a segmental head, and 2 boarded doors to cold stores under segmental heads to the L end. In the end wall of the wing is a barred opening to the cold store and a glazed attic opening. Behind, the wing has a stone stack, heightened in brick, with an added brick stack and casement window to its R, and a horned sash window to the L end. The rear of the main house has a central half-lit boarded door flanked by lean-tos and with a larger projection at the L end. In the upper storey are small-pane horizontal sashes to centre and R-hand bays.
A narrow entrance hall has a straight stair with thin square balusters. A corridor along the rear of the house leads to the 4 main ground-floor rooms, which have plain panelled doors. The wing has a flagstone floor and is said to retain a bread oven (not seen during inspection).
An early C19 farmhouse retaining original character and detail, and for group value with other associated listed items at Home Farm and on the Merthyr Mawr Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings