History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate and Gate Posts at entrance to Home Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Merthyr Mawr, Bridgend

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4869 / 51°29'12"N

Longitude: -3.6089 / 3°36'32"W

OS Eastings: 288384

OS Northings: 177663

OS Grid: SS883776

Mapcode National: GBR HC.KDYH

Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.DWGJ

Entry Name: Gate and Gate Posts at entrance to Home Farm

Listing Date: 29 January 1999

Last Amended: 29 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21251

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: On W side of farm yard facing minor road between Merthyw Mawr and Whitney Farm. Home Farm is 200m NE of the parish church.

County: Bridgend

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Bridgend

History

Home Farm was built early C19 by Sir John Nicholl, who had purchased the Merthyr Mawr Estate in 1804. The gate was brought to Merthyr Mawr after being salvaged from one of Thomas Telford's road-building projects, probably the Bristol to Milford Haven mail route, where work was undertaken from 1824. The design was produced specifically for the toll gates on Telford's Holyhead Road c1815-30, and was subsequently used on his other road-building projects.

Exterior

A 'Telford' style gate painted white, with wrought-iron bars emanating from the hinges in a sunburst fashion. The round cast iron posts have ball finials.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a farm gate of distinctive design and for group value with Home Farm and its listed farm buildings.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Granary at Home Farm
    Home Farm is approximately 200m NE of the parish church. The granary is SW of the farm house, behind a wall fronting a minor road between Merthyr Mawr and Whitney Farm.
  • II Cattle Shed at Home Farm
    On the SW side of the farm house and malthouse. Home Farm is 200m NE of the parish church.
  • II Malthouse at Home Farm
    On the S side of the farm house, which is 200m NE of the parish church.
  • II Home Farm
    Approximately 200m NE of the parish church and on the N side of the farm yard.
  • II Barn and Stable at Home Farm (also known as Chapel Barn)
    Home Farm is approximately 200m NE of the parish church. The Barn and Stable is E of the farmhouse.
  • II Dovecote at Home Farm
    Home Farm is approximately 200m NE of the parish church. The dovecote stands to the S of the farm yard in a former orchard.
  • II Gate and Gate Posts on E side of Home Farm
    Approximately 300m NE of the parish church and at the end of a track between Merthyr Mawr House and Brewhouse Cottages, on the E side of the Home Farm.
  • II Wellingtonia
    Set back from the road, on E side of the churchyard and behind Church Cottage.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.