History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nicholl family tomb in churchyard of St Teilo, Merthyr Mawr

A Grade II Listed Building in Merthyr Mawr, Bridgend

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4855 / 51°29'7"N

Longitude: -3.6099 / 3°36'35"W

OS Eastings: 288315

OS Northings: 177508

OS Grid: SS883775

Mapcode National: GBR HC.KLQ9

Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.CXZM

Entry Name: Nicholl family tomb in churchyard of St Teilo, Merthyr Mawr

Listing Date: 29 January 1999

Last Amended: 29 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21246

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: On the SE side of the church, near the E boundary of the churchyard.

County: Bridgend

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Community: Merthyr Mawr

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Saint Brides Major

History

Family tomb built for Sir John Nicholl (1759-1838) of Merthyr Mawr House. The tomb was originally surrounded by railings, which were removed at an unknown date.

Exterior

A stone table tomb with flat capstone. The angles have pilasters with husks below 4-leaf flowers. On the short sides are oval tablets with the Nicholl family crest (a castle surmounted by a cornish chough) with heraldic pheons upper R and L. On the E side is raised lettering commemorating the family of the Right Honorable Sir John Nicholl. The long sides have wide oval tablets left blank (designed for commemorative inscriptions to be added later), with foliage upper R and L.

Reasons for Listing

An important component of the surviving buildings associated with Sir John Nicholl at Merthyr Mawr, and for group value with the church of St Teilo and other associated listed items.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Churchyard wall and gate at St Teilo, Merthyr Mawr
    On the S side of the churchyard, fronting a minor road to Candleston.
  • II Preaching Cross in churchyard of St Teilo
    On the S side of the church.
  • II* Church of St Teilo
    On NW side of settlement and N side of minor road between village and Merthyr Mawr Warren.
  • II Church Cottage
    SE of church yard and fronting road.
  • II Former Tithe Barn
    Approximately 50m SW of parish church, on W side of a minor road to Candleston, and facing a yard with the former saw mill.
  • II Wellingtonia
    Set back from the road, on E side of the churchyard and behind Church Cottage.
  • II Diana Cottage
    Approximately 100m ESE of the parish church and on the E side of a junction with a minor road to a footbridge over the Ogmore river.
  • II Oak Cottage
    Approximately 100m E of parish church and set back from the main road through the village. The house is at the downhill end of a group with The Cottage

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.