This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7631 / 51°45'47"N
Longitude: -3.4072 / 3°24'25"W
OS Eastings: 302982
OS Northings: 208090
OS Grid: SO029080
Mapcode National: GBR HM.03PJ
Mapcode Global: VH6CQ.WYM9
Entry Name: Tabor Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 8 February 1999
Last Amended: 16 June 2003
Source ID: 21317
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently situated, on rising ground overlooking the Heads of the Valleys Road, at junction of High Street and Grawen Lane
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Town: Merthyr Tydfil
Community: Vaynor (Y Faenor)
Locality: Cefn Coed-y-Cymmer
Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Independent chapel rebuilt in 1904. The cause was founded by members seceding from Ebenezer, Cefn Coed in 1842 under the Rev W Moses. First chapel was built in 1845. By 1851, there were 150 attendees. A Church Meeting of 26 March 1899, elected to rebuild the chapel. The new chapel was begun in 1904. The chapel closed in the early 1970s, and by 1980 was a judo club. The chapel was carefully restored as a place of worship in 1989.
Independent Chapel of 1904, basement and 2 storeys in painted stucco with imitation slates to roof, bargeboards and terracotta finial to front gable. Gabled facade of 3 bays with recessed roundel to gable inscribed: ''''''''''''''''Tabor Built 1845. Rebuilt 1904''''''''''''''''. Arched windows with raised shouldered surrounds to upper storey. Triplet to centre, of large central light, with flanking, narrower, similar lights. Single, shorter window to each side. Keystones to triplet. Stucco pilasters to angles. Raised cornice between storeys. Ground floor has cambered-headed windows flanking large projecting central entrance lobby with triplet. Rusticated quoins and window dressings. Projecting lobby has entablature with painted frieze and cornice moulding corresponding to upper floor cornice. Three memorial stones and pair of blank arches below window. Arched entry is in right side-wall with panelled double doors and simple fanlight. Horned sash windows with marginal glazing bars throughout. Painted stucco sides of 3 storeys, 3 bays. Arched windows to top floor, the rest cambered-headed. Basement windows altered, door to right has porch with stone end wall and imitation slate roof.
Complete interior of 1904, carefully restored 1989. Three-sided raked gallery, with canted angles, and slightly deeper rear, supported by 6 painted, fluted, cast iron columns, with florid capitals, carrying bracketed cornice. Gallery front has long, horizontal panels, similar shorter panels to canted angles. Pews with 2 aisles and set fawr, panelled to match gallery. Pulpit with curved stair to each side, with turned balusters. Canted pulpit front with pair of arched-headed panels with small columns to centre, horizontal panels to canted sides. Base, also canted, has horizontal panels. Large, arched recess behind pulpit, with panelled pilasters, moulded arch and keystone. Ceiling has deep moulded cornice, then timber border with pierced ventilation panels at corners and diagonal slatting elsewhere, and plaster centre. This is divided in 4 by moulded beams terminated at outer ring of centre rose. Rose has 2 moulded rings with 15 floral bosses in band between. Centre has large pendant, probably for a gasolier, with banded detail, surrounded by a pierced ornamental iron grille.
Included as a well-preserved chapel of early C20 regional character and prominently sited.
Other nearby listed buildings