This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1853 / 53°11'7"N
Longitude: -3.7168 / 3°43'0"W
OS Eastings: 285379
OS Northings: 366736
OS Grid: SH853667
Mapcode National: GBR 67.39MF
Mapcode Global: WH65R.W69D
Entry Name: Former Toll-gate, Posts and Turnstile
Listing Date: 17 March 1999
Last Amended: 17 March 1999
Source ID: 21481
Building Class: Communications
Location: The gate is located on the N side of the minor road leading W out of Llangernyw at the head of the farm road to Maesol, approximately 2.2km WSW of Llangernyw village centre.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Toll gate of the type designed by Thomas Telford for use on the London to Holyhead road between 1819-28. The Act of Parliament for turnpiking the road from Abergele to Llanrwst through Llangernyw was passed in 22/23 Victoria (1858/9). It is probable that this gate was used locally on this turnpike. The turnstile is very unusual and was probably used instead of the usual side gate for pedestrians.
Gate fabricated from rolled wrought iron flat bar with T-section top and bottom rails and latch stile; square section hanging stile extends above top rail terminating in an urn-shaped finial. Flat bars radiate from two quadrant-shaped gusset plates in corners next to hanging stile to form lattice; bars riveted to rails and stiles and at intersections. Circular, slightly tapered cast iron gateposts in the form of columns with plain capitals. Wrought angle-iron turnstile to E.
Included as a rare and well preserved example of a mid C19 iron combined toll gate and turnstile to a design by Thomas Telford.
Other nearby listed buildings