History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Home Farm Farmyard Ranges to N of Hafodunos Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangernyw, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1892 / 53°11'21"N

Longitude: -3.6974 / 3°41'50"W

OS Eastings: 286680

OS Northings: 367139

OS Grid: SH866671

Mapcode National: GBR 68.32BC

Mapcode Global: WH65S.53KD

Entry Name: Home Farm Farmyard Ranges to N of Hafodunos Hall

Listing Date: 16 February 1996

Last Amended: 17 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16844

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Situated high above Hafodunos Hall to north, the major part of the Home Farm complex.

County: Conwy

Town: Abergele

Community: Llangernyw

Community: Llangernyw

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llangerniew

History

Dated 1842 with initials 'S S' and later alterations recorded by the further datestone inscribed 'CMS AD 1940'. 'S S' refers to Samuel Sandbach who bought Hafodunos in 1831. Hafodunos Hall was built in 1861-6 to the design of Sir George Gilbert Scott.

Exterior

Group of farmbuildings comprising formal cart-house/barn range as frontispiece with other buildings including 2 ranges of single storey cow-houses forming a complete courtyard. Rubble construction with mostly slate roofs (some areas with asbestos sheets and iron sheeting). Main range includes 7-bays of cartsheds to left with cambered arches and voussoirs; granary loft over with glazed windows with stone voussoir heads. Some brick repair towards gable. Recessed central bay has hipped roof and high cambered arch to cart entry into stock yard; right hand section apparently barn, with camber-headed ventilators and some blocked openings including a camber-headed door to left. Date-stone between left hand two windows has stags head and lettering 'S S Esq AD 1842' over 'C M S AD 1940'. High cart entry to north gable end. Courtyard ranges comprise one large hipped-roofed building to left of entrance range - a very fine, large aisled stock court. Mostly timber trusses with outer cast-iron columns inscrubed 'MWW'. Single and two storeyed ranges opposite the entrance range, and single storey open-fronted shelter shed range closing the yard to the right.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a fine example of a mid C19 estate farm complex, which is part of the group at Hafodunos Hall.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.